Flow Control Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Reaction score
hey fellas looking for some advice again

been putting together my kegerator the last few weeks and im almost done exept for taps now id really like a flow control tap as i dont want miles of line in the freezer.

i would love some cellis but i have put all my money into building the kegerator and just cant afford the real deal so i have been looking at these cheaper alternatives until christmas comes and maybe santa will bring me the real thing. :)

has anyone got any knowledge/experience with these models?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SHORT-SHANK-TAP...6?pt=AU_Barware

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Chrome-Home-Bre...9?pt=AU_Barware

im looking at the new chrome ones at the mo simply on the basis that they look a little bit better made

any and all comments greatly appreciated guys :icon_cheers:

yeah i have seen these but as i said id really like flow control taps so i dont need meters of line in the kegerator to balance the system and as for the 90 degree path im sure that the barb is removable and ill put john guest fittings on the shank.

cheers for the suggestion though mate

yeah i have seen these but as i said id really like flow control taps so i dont need meters of line in the kegerator to balance the system and as for the 90 degree path im sure that the barb is removable and ill put john guest fittings on the shank.

cheers for the suggestion though mate

I use these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3490 from CraftBrewer - they attach in line so you can use them with any tap. I've got Perlicks which I really like. Much better than the chromed micromatic I started with.

But if you want Celli's then the price probably works out about the same. I prefer the idea of keeping the flow control hidden away to stop drunk friends fiddling with it...

i say buy quality 1st time and never look back, get a celli, or perlick+2m beer line

I use these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3490 from CraftBrewer - they attach in line so you can use them with any tap. I've got Perlicks which I really like. Much better than the chromed micromatic I started with.

But if you want Celli's then the price probably works out about the same. I prefer the idea of keeping the flow control hidden away to stop drunk friends fiddling with it...

How are you going with these Andrew, I bought one to trial and I have to say the first pour of the day is pretty foamy, and if you look at the beer coming from the tap it isn't clear like usual but cloudy from all the bubbles that seem to be coming through, are you happy with the results?

Andrew

they attach in line so you can use them with any tap. I've got Perlicks which I really like.

I bought one of these from CB to try, and got nothing but foam with my Perlicks.

How have you got them setup?

I've also got two of the inline flow control.
I don't use them anymore as they were a bit fiddley.

however, i did notice a few things with them.

1. they work better closer to the tap.
2. If the carbonation of the beer is slightly higher than the dispensing pressure equilibrium carbonation (hope that makes sense) you'll get lots of froth.

with point 2, reducing your serving pressure actually seems to make the problem worse.

my thoughts on this is, if you've got turbulence when the pressure is below equilibrium, the gas comes out of solution. If you keep the pressure higher, it's got no reason to come out of solution. (think force carbing a keg when shaking)

but i haven't used mine for ages.

Cheers,
Al

Perlick 525SS, $75 delivered from US on ebay. Includes everything except handle. :beerbang:

I have flow control taps basically the same as the ones you linked to (mine are in towers rather than with shanks) and they are fine.... Not perfect, but fine.

Normally carbonated beers are pretty much good to go every time, first glass, no waste... A little more waste with higher carbonated beers. Some of that is about the warm length of line in the path to the tower... So shank style taps would work better. If you pour two beers - the second is fine.

Still, the cheaper flow control taps are nearly as good, but not quite as good as my celi tap. I would think about using a meter or two of extra line for really fizzy bees... But apart from that you are good to go in my experience.

TB

thanks mate that has helped me make my mind up

ill grab one and hopefully in a few pay days ill have enough for a real celli

at least ill be able to pour beer till then cause a working kegerator without a tap is just tragic :lol:

really apreciate all the input fellas

cheers :beer:

I have flow control taps basically the same as the ones you linked to (mine are in towers rather than with shanks) and they are fine.... Not perfect, but fine.

Normally carbonated beers are pretty much good to go every time, first glass, no waste... A little more waste with higher carbonated beers. Some of that is about the warm length of line in the path to the tower... So shank style taps would work better. If you pour two beers - the second is fine.

Still, the cheaper flow control taps are nearly as good, but not quite as good as my celi tap. I would think about using a meter or two of extra line for really fizzy bees... But apart from that you are good to go in my experience.

TB

How are you going with these Andrew, I bought one to trial and I have to say the first pour of the day is pretty foamy, and if you look at the beer coming from the tap it isn't clear like usual but cloudy from all the bubbles that seem to be coming through, are you happy with the results?

Andrew

I really like them - much better than changing the line length every time I decide to change the carb rate.

When I bought my first one I was running it with a standard chrome tap and it was better than my efforts at balancing using line but a bit foamy on the first pint of the day. Since I upgraded to Perlicks even the first pour is good. I run mine a couple of inches from the disconnect and then about a metre of hose to the tap. I carb my beers at serving pressure.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back