Flooded Font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slacka

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer for my keg set up and my beer taps are a good five metres away. I was thinking of running glycol along the same duct as the beer line to keep the entire length refrigerated.

Then I thought perhaps one of those thermoelectric fridges sitting inside my chest freezer (on top of the compressor) might be enough to actually ice the font up. ie. fill it with glycol and a pond pump.

Do you think that the poor efficiency of those things will simply heat my beer up instead of icing the font?
Would I be better gutting a bar fridge and putting the freezer box into a small esky full of glycol?

How do other people ice their flooded font?

A thermoelectric cooler (peltier) module simply makes one side of it hot and the other side cold. The temperature difference possible between the two sides depends on the power rating of the module. In addition the hot side also outputs whatever power used by the peltier. So yes, it would be able to make a reservoir of coolant colder than the inside of the freezer, but at the same time would be pumping the peltier's rated power directly into the freezer, which the freezer would then have to remove. So say a 70W peltier module and pump could be effectively be using up 150W of power - you might as well be running another freezer!

So just keep a normal reservoir in your freezer and pump that through the lines - forget about having that icy font, despite how cool it would look... :)

Latest posts

Back