Floaties on top ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick Karl

Reaction score
I normally use a Morgans kit, and add some stuff, been having a great run, ( Morgans Queenslander Gold, 1kg booster blend and usually pride of ringwood hops, although I change the hops up a bit, mainly because I cant always get what I want) and the last brew I used a coopers pale ale, everything else the same. I didn't bottle at the normal 14 days, I left it in the fermenter 3 weeks as I had to go away.

I was surprised as it came out clear, and thought this is a bonus. I had a look at it thismorning at 5 days bottled, and there is a waxy looking film floating on the top. Worried it was going to explode or something nastier, I cracked the lid on one, and it was gassed, not overly, so I had a bit of a taste, now at 6 am, the taste buds were just getting over the coffee, so I put it in the fridge to see how it tasted this arvo.

Well just got home from work and had a taste, seems fine, a bit green considering it has only been bottled 5 days, but no foul odours etc, does anyone know what this could be ?

Might be a bit of yeast leftovers, I've had it a couple times over the years never been an issue, still drinks fine.

Latest posts

Back