Flavoured Priming Sugars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panspermian

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have beer ready to bottle in a week or so. My usual process is to use carbonation drops.
This time 'round I'm keen on using golden syrup to prime my bottles and a 9.5L keg I've recently bought.
SWMBO brought me home one of those little saucepan things (the ones you would make Greek coffee in or heat milk up in). It's only 500ml.
I plan on heating golden syrup in that (not sure if I should boil) and then with the use of a 2ml syringe I bought from chemist, transfer a measured amount to each bottle.
I was thinking I could prob experiment with spices etc, boil them, mixing them with priming sugar and inject them into individual bottles. I could experiment with a heap of different flavours from the one batch of beer.
I've heard of spices or fruit being added to secondary but never a process like I just described.
Any one done this?

There was a episode on basic brewing radio where they spoke to a guy who did all sorts of different priming sugars. One that he did was prime a batch with grapefruit juice.

My thoughts are calculate the amount of syrup needed for the whole batch, dissolve the syrup in a pan with some water then bulk prime the whole batch.

Priming each bottle individually with spices might be tough. But if you have a full batch you could always bulk prime 5litres at a time and use different sugars and spice for each lot.

You are limited by your own creativity.

+1 for bulk priming, even if you do break a main batch into smaller individual ones.

Bulk priming is far more accurate

I prime kombucha with various fruit juices... Works awesomely... Could work for beer too I s'pose.
However, I don't think golden syrup would really impart that much different flavour. For the effort I'd want something more unique.

Might be wrong, worth a shot... What beer style?

Yep, bulk priming rocks if you're bottling. As for using flavoured priming sugars, I've found that they tend to add a couple weeks on to conditioning time. Not carbing time, but it takes a bit longer for the flavours to meld. Golden Syrup is pretty much my favourite.

Agree bulk priming is better. When you prime the bottles you do get your last opportunity to add a spice or herb flavour to your beer, it's true. I tried this with a bit of mint once (made some mint essence, mixed in sugar to make it a bulk priming solution) but there wasn't enough mint to make a difference. However, I think it potentially could work.

Apparently the idea of adding spices to the brew *at bottling time* goes back a fairly long way; before bottles were primed with sugar they were simply given fresh yeast (barm). Some brewers still seem to use this method - possibly Coopers. Possible Bridge Road Brewers. While adding barm to the bottles, spices could be added (perhaps they also served as a yeast nutrient): stuff like cloves or rosemary. So when you open a bottle, you don't just get fresh maltiness and hoppiness: you get a hit of spice as well.

I have been wanting to try panela sugar to prime up some brown/dark ales, I think it would be great.
+100 for bulk priming, som much easier than measuring out each bottle.

I feel I have to add (for noobs like me) bulk priming you should purge the secondary/priming vessel with co2. I think I've bulk primed maybe 4 times and 3 out of 4 times I got oxygenation flavours. Those bottles sit under the house and only get fed to the slug trap in the garden.. -_-

Latest posts

Back