Flavour Of The Week

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijani

Reaction score
I've noticed in my short time on the AHB forum that home brewers can be somewhat taken by flavours and aromas. Be it a newly found spice for cooking or a return to good old comfort foods you haven't had for years. Substitute food for beer if you like.

What flavour or aroma (individual or combination) is tickling your tastebuds and nostrils this week? :icon_drool2:

I'll kick this off. At the moment it's smoke. After reading on here about drum smokers I made a trash can smoker. Every day since last weekend I have been hot smoking something. Great flavour as the weather cools down too and nice with a stout. Only problem is my sense of taste is getting numb :( Oh well. One last frenzy over the weekend. I want to slow smoke some large cuts of pork and lamb.

Pork belly with spicy dry rub. Paprika, cayenne, black pepper, coriander seed, salt. Infuse oil with garlic, brown sugar and a wee bit off chilli. Rub oil then dry rub. Slow smoke with hickory 120C for about 6 hours.

Lamb leg bone in, infuse rosemary and roasted garlic in olive oil and rest overnight. Baste with infused oil, lemon juice, cracked black pepper, lemon thyme and salt. Slow smoke with hickory and and a little rosemary 110C for about 8-10 hours

That's the rough plan atm will tweak and fine tune. Still got the sides to work out.

Lamb leg bone in, infuse rosemary and roasted garlic in olive oil and rest overnight. Baste with infused oil, lemon juice, cracked black pepper, lemon thyme and salt. Slow smoke with hickory and and a little rosemary 110C for about 8-10 hours

8-10 hrs :icon_drool2:

glad you didnt make the smoker out of a piece of pole

glad you didnt make the smoker out of a piece of pole

It's good to get advice from members who have made the mistake first so we can all learn. Yes, a pole smoker would be bad. Sorry to hear you've been down that path.

2kg pork belly, trimmed. Removed ribs and 1/5 skin. Wet rub of oil, brown sugar and birdseye chilli. Dry rub of paprika, cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked salt. Roll skin diamond slash to fat layer and rolled and tied.

Cascade Pale Ale in evaporation pan.

Ribs 120C for 2 hours

Roll 120C for 3 1/2 hours.

roll_n_ribs.JPG

Pics when finished.

yum.....

yum.....yum.....yum.....yum.....yum.....yum.....yum.....yum.....yum.....

How'd it taste?? Did the skin go crispy?

With the liquid sitting above the charcoal it keeps the temperature about 120C and has a high humidity level. It never gets hot or dry enough to go crispy.

I've been thinking about slow smoking/steaming then finishing in the oven to get the malliard reaction and/or desired texture.

The flavour was great. The roll had a subtle smoke and rub flavour with a sweet finish. The ribs had a strong rub flavour with a nice warmth (chilli and cayenne) and smoke flavour. The roll is proving to be a great alternative to bacon when lightly salted and fried.

Back