Flavour Of Carbonated Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chestynuts

Reaction score
HI All

I have a quick question that some may be able to answer.

I have a little creatures pale ale clone (k&k) on tap at the moment. I did the week long carbonation method (100 kpa) to gas up. I couldn't wait a week to taste and tried it after four days. It wasn't at full carbonation as there were very little bubbles coming out of the beer but it had a very nice taste (therefore I drank some more). Anyway allowing for it to fully carb up the taste has changed dramatically (more bitter now). I guess this is the result of the pH of the CO2 and other things but what I was wondering is would I be able to get it back to the same flavour that I had when only partially gased if I released part of the pressure. Or has this flavour gone forever.... it's still a very nice beer just wondering if it could get back to the first taste.

I'll be making a note in my pad of the taste with carbonation with this beer if I do it again.

The funny thing is it actually got more like the real LCPA with the change in flavour. The aroma is awesome though.

Cheers

What temperature is your beer at? People told me 100kpa when I first started too and to be honest it's probably the worst advice anyone ever gave me. I run my setup at about 65kpa with beer at about 4 degrees and that seems perfect to me. I adjust my line lengths to suit. This results in shorter lines which I find more convenient anyway.

To answer your question though, yes when I too was told 100kpa I thought my ~27 IBU Amber Ale was way too 'bitter'. Which ended up just being the taste of an over-carbed beer. It is the fizziness I believe that gives the bitterness perception.

You can lower the carbonation level of your beer by taking the gas off it and purging out all of the co2 through the pressure relief valve. Do that, then wait an hour, then do it again. Repeat this process for a while. You can speed the process up by shaking the keg.

Purging the keg like this can drive off beer aroma so if you had late / dry hops in your beer this may unfortunately remove flavour and you may never get the beer you once had, but IMO if the beer is over carbed either way you're better off putting it back to the proper carbonation level.

Mark, is that constant 65 kpa since day 0? How long does it take to be ready for drinking?

Mark, is that constant 65 kpa since day 0? How long does it take to be ready for drinking?

If I slow carb at 65kpa it takes about 2 weeks to be really properly carbed but after 1 week its definitely drinkable.

What I normally do though is the 'ross method' force carbing but I do it at less pressure so that I intentionally under carb it. So let's say I force carb it until it's about 80% of final carbonation level and 'drinkable' straight away so I can see what the beer tastes like 30 minutes after kegging, and then the next 20% happens naturally over the next few days. A week after kegging it's close to perfect. It still takes 2 weeks to be truly perfect IMO but you get it closer sooner and that's a good thing.

Best thing is if you aim to do the ross method but intentionally under carb it even if you're off a bit you're still way less likely to overcarb it. An undercarbed keg is way more desirable than an overcarbed keg.

If I slow carb at 65kpa it takes about 2 weeks to be really properly carbed but after 1 week its definitely drinkable.

What I normally do though is the 'ross method' force carbing but I do it at less pressure so that I intentionally under carb it. So let's say I force carb it until it's about 80% of final carbonation level and 'drinkable' straight away so I can see what the beer tastes like 30 minutes after kegging, and then the next 20% happens naturally over the next few days. A week after kegging it's close to perfect. It still takes 2 weeks to be truly perfect IMO but you get it closer sooner and that's a good thing.

Best thing is if you aim to do the ross method but intentionally under carb it even if you're off a bit you're still way less likely to overcarb it. An undercarbed keg is way more desirable than an overcarbed keg.

Excellent advice,I do much the same.Over carbed beer is a pain in the arse,both to drink and answer the inevitable "why is my glass all ice cream foam".

Over carbonation probably led to some co2 bite,changing your perception of the bitterness.Once equilibrium is reached with carb. and pour pressures,your beer will taste better.

Cheers for the advice lads. I've turned down the pressure but wont be doing 100 kpa again. I picked up a second keg yesterday so now I won't have to wait too long before drinking the beer. I just checked the temp in the fridge, I always though it was around 4 degrees but when I checked it was around 7. Time to turn it down a bit.

Latest posts

Back