Flaked Barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon66

Reaction score
Hello All

I started home brewing beer last November and after 1 K&K and 4 K&bits I made my first AG last weekend, (a basic APA with fat yak style hops that is happily fermenting at the moment)

Now I want try a basic stout (I am an stout drinker from way back). A lot of even simple stout recipes call for flaked barley. I need to know is the flaked barley added with the grain bill before milling or added to the grain bill after milling?

Thanks

Simon

No need to mill, just chuck it in the mash.

2 easy but oh so tasty stout recipes that have become regulars at my bar during the colder months

3 shades of stout

4 shades of stout

I personally prefer the 4 shades and make it at the top end of the style guidelines (OG 1.050 and 40-45 IBU).

Its almost cold enough at nights to warrent brewing a stout..... :p

2 easy but oh so tasty stout recipes that have become regulars at my bar during the colder months

3 shades of stout

4 shades of stout

I personally prefer the 4 shades and make it at the top end of the style guidelines (OG 1.050 and 40-45 IBU).

Its almost cold enough at nights to warrent brewing a stout..... :p

Add as many shades as you can and you have a winner, imo. It's the beer that finally got my father to really take notice of my brewing and has earned a permanent place in the winter lineup at Shepherds Flat.

Add as many shades as you can and you have a winner, imo. It's the beer that finally got my father to really take notice of my brewing and has earned a permanent place in the winter lineup at Shepherds Flat.

That's friggin awesome dude. Respect :beerbang:

Well I guess that makes brew day a bit easier then yeah? Just chuck your flaked barley in.

Latest posts

Back