Five Points Best Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a batch based on the recipe from Craft Beer Channel for Five Points Best Bitter.
Recipe from around 3 minutes
I’m very happy with this. I think it’s my favourite Bitter-style beer I’ve made for a few years. Beautiful sweet malt and the hops are a revelation.

My batch recipe:
88% Simpson’s Marris Otter
4% Simpson’s Medium Crystal
4% Gladfield’s Biscuit (sub for British Amber)
4% Gladfield’s Wheat Malt

Mash at 67°, 60 minutes

40g Scottsdale Fuggles (pellets) @60 min
30g @ 15 min
80g @ 0 min and proceed to chill to pitching temp. I use the standard issue Brewzilla SS immersion chiller and I stir the wort. My water supply was about 12°. It took about 20 minutes to get down to 18°

Fermented with WLP002 @ 18° 4 days then ramped by 1° per day to 23° for 2 day rest, soft crash to 15°. Bottled 14 days after pitching yeast. 4g white sugar per 750ml aiming for around 2 volumes CO2

The original used WLP013. I used WLP002 because I had some.

The original used whole cone Fuggles.
I have been disappointed with imported Fuggles but I bought some locally grown from a hobby gardener in Northern Tas. They were pelletised and 2023 harvest. I adjusted the main bittering charge downwards to account for using pellets.

I used malts I could obtain locally. I’m glad I could get Simpson’s MO and Medium Crystal, but I couldn’t find any British Amber malt. Have used Joe White Amber in the past but I’m not convinced it’s really an equivalent. I went with Gladfield Biscuit instead.

The beer is not especially clear. I thought it might be clearer but I expect the big dose of flameout hops might have something to do with it. I’m also drinking it at only 3 weeks after bottling so no doubt there will be some changes. It’s stored in the cellar at around 10° at the moment which will remain steadily falling over the next couple of months.

8D0DB703-AB18-468C-8381-95A57B3272A5.jpeg

I brewed this and took it to the first Vic case swap event I went too (between covid lockdowns and restrictions)

I used
Voyager Valoria as the base malt as my bag of MO hadnt arrived
Crisp medium crystal, I brought Crisp spec malt specifically for this and then grabbed the wrong one when measuring out the grain bill
Nottingham yeast, couldnt get london ale at the time due to covid

Was lightly carbonated and I stored/kept it at about 12C, we actually had it as a breakfast beer served at ambient when we started doing the swap brew

@laxation

Actually had it in the UK when I was over last year and it was close if memory is correct, however Cask ale is always an amazing experience and it wasn't as good as the commercial version

Mine was perfectly clear

Screenshot-20210517-085713-Beer-Smith-3.jpg

I made a batch based on the recipe from Craft Beer Channel for Five Points Best Bitter.
Recipe from around 3 minutes
I’m very happy with this. I think it’s my favourite Bitter-style beer I’ve made for a few years. Beautiful sweet malt and the hops are a revelation.

My batch recipe:
88% Simpson’s Marris Otter
4% Simpson’s Medium Crystal
4% Gladfield’s Biscuit (sub for British Amber)
4% Gladfield’s Wheat Malt

Mash at 67°, 60 minutes

40g Scottsdale Fuggles (pellets) @60 min
30g @ 15 min
80g @ 0 min and proceed to chill to pitching temp. I use the standard issue Brewzilla SS immersion chiller and I stir the wort. My water supply was about 12°. It took about 20 minutes to get down to 18°

Fermented with WLP002 @ 18° 4 days then ramped by 1° per day to 23° for 2 day rest, soft crash to 15°. Bottled 14 days after pitching yeast. 4g white sugar per 750ml aiming for around 2 volumes CO2

The original used WLP013. I used WLP002 because I had some.

The original used whole cone Fuggles.
I have been disappointed with imported Fuggles but I bought some locally grown from a hobby gardener in Northern Tas. They were pelletised and 2023 harvest. I adjusted the main bittering charge downwards to account for using pellets.

I used malts I could obtain locally. I’m glad I could get Simpson’s MO and Medium Crystal, but I couldn’t find any British Amber malt. Have used Joe White Amber in the past but I’m not convinced it’s really an equivalent. I went with Gladfield Biscuit instead.

The beer is not especially clear. I thought it might be clearer but I expect the big dose of flameout hops might have something to do with it. I’m also drinking it at only 3 weeks after bottling so no doubt there will be some changes. It’s stored in the cellar at around 10° at the moment which will remain steadily falling over the next couple of months.

View attachment 123499
It isn't the hop stand which has caused the haze, if you dropped the temperature to as close to 0C for a few days everything will drop out. The only haze you could get would be some yeast which hasn't settled in the bottle but will do with time.
That is of course if the mash/and boil were as they should be. Also getting the wort as clear as possible into the fermenter, even if it means waiting a few hours to transfer. Don't worry about the loss in the kettle, pour that into a jug stick it in the fridge overnight pour off clear wort into saucepan bring up to the boil and bottle. Use these as starters or for souring, or just tip into next batch.
Well worth watching.

IMG_4328.JPG
IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5734.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back