Five Figure Posters?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, for one, barely post (with the exception of tonights average years total in one day) but love that the highly technical and detailed threads are often broken up by stoushes, often with hilarious retorts , and colourful and colloquial macho language.

I only look to the posters number of posts if their post is either very good or very bad, i never concern my self to look otherwise

For a variety of reasons, one being time, I don't contribute/read AHB much these days but when I do, it is always great to see some of the older posters still chugging along making a difference, in many different ways. There are also a few new guys I think who are doing the same.

Just a quick read through this thread from the start and some great names pop up...

MHB: Always excellent advice coming from a well-educated brewer. He's also never afraid to get into a scruff to try and get the right information across. Not an easy task. More often, risky! Definitely a bloke to listen to and/or enjoy.

Gryphon: Always provocative (eg, this thread - lol) but like MHB is a highly educated and accomplished brewer. A beer with Nev is always great fun and educational. Also like, MHB, he will do anything to get you brewing well.

Tony: I can't imagine AHB without Tony. It is a true pleasure corresponding with him if you get the chance and, if you read through his posts, they are always full of information that is based on his experience. He has a lot of experience and I can't remember him posting anything but sense, quality and friendship here.

manticle: manticle came on the scene just as I was heading out so I'm not sure if I have this right, but my impression is that he goes out of his way to provide consistent, quality and detailed information. I am not totally sure of this as I only drop in from time to time. If he is, good on him and you newer members should acknowledge his effort and any others I am missing in this thread if you are reading it.

InCider: This guy is one of the nicest blokes around. He'll be the first to tell you he posts a lot of shit here but this guy has a great spirit and this contributes a lot. He is a very good thinker and some of the most compelling stuff I have seen written here has been written by him. Also some of the funniest. Choosing between him and Sqyre as to who is the funniest poster would be a hard call.

ThirstyBoy: Dan is totally passionate about handing the right sort of knowledge on. And he has some stamina - his posts are as long as mine! He's a guy that likes to be very precise, as I do, but this is very hard to do even in long posts! Dan and I have had pages of frustrating correspondence in the past arguing about even how a single word can be interpreted, or worse, misinterpreted. If you ever find a bad post by ThirstyBoy (this would be very hard), take the time to read a few of his posts before and you'll see a consistent pattern of dedication and quality. (If he and I have ever disagreed on anything, just remember, I am right :).)

Batz: I remember heading off to my first swap and shitting myself because Batz would be there. I had the same impression of PostModern - another moderator. Batz might write briefly and bluntly at times but once you meet him (or PoMo), you realise what truly fun blokes they are. These guys knows about brewing, always have a heap on tap and will welcome anyone. If you ever get to visit the Bat Cave and get talking with Batz, you are in for a real treat especially if you have or enjoy a dry sense of humour. Certainly can't imagine AHB without Batz (or Doc). If you're reading this, you silly old bat, check your Batz2 email will ya!

TidalPete: Pete is another guy you need to meet in real life to get the full enjoyment. Pete's one of the many guys from QLD I really miss.

I've pretty much only commented on the names I have seen in this thread but there are many more. For example, just thinking through the mods, PintofLager is another that went to great lengths to help me out in my early days on this forum.

All of the above though I think have passion. Most of the above have been around long enough to convert that passion into knowledge and many into wisdom. A couple give us rare glimpses into wisdom that is non brewing-related.

All of them have, what I think, is the "right" spirit. (Only one needs to lift a bit but I am not going there - lol. He has too much value off-forum.)

If all of us though posted in the right spirit 95% of the time and were forgiven our or forgave other's (tolerated, as InCider said) 5% of bad posts, then I think this forum would be more productive. People who bugger up more than 5% of the time need to be looked at. Those who do more need to be got rid of.

In the old days here, you could edit or delete your posts. If you were really bad, someone would usually quote your post and you would be pulled up and then you would have to justify your error/atrocity. You usually got time to breathe though. In those days, you'd see the occasional atrocity which would be apologised for or the person would be rightly ostracised. Most of the time though, any edits or deletions were done in the spirit of improving the post or just getting rid of something that was a ramble or added no value.

When they disallowed edits and deletions on this site, I thought it was because of me as I edited nearly every post I wrote over several hours or days, occasionally months if they were threads I started and wanted to get the information right in the first post that new people would read. (I deleted a few atrocities as well - maybe 1% of my posts - sorry about those :D .) Doc told me though that this decision was not made at all because of my edits or deletions. Phew! This decision was because of another culture developing - I'm not actually sure what it was but a lot of posts started getting made without the right spirit/intent.

Maybe when a forum gets big, it needs more moderators? Perhaps it even needs sub-moderators - those who are willing to devote the time to reading everything in a single sub-forum so as they know the culture and the characters?

A bit more moderation might allow some of the characters I have mentioned above to be appreciated more and allow people like me to 'see' others I haven't been able to see. More importantly, it might give all of us a chance at 'hearing' better the questions that are being asked.

Anyway, that's a ramble of appreciation and my apologies to the hundred or so people I didn't honour but should have.

It's also a ramble hoping to catch the attention of what is known in forum-speak, as the forum, "founder." There is ever only one person that has ultimate cultural control over a forum, so, any forum is a reflection of that Founder's intentions, motivations, efforts and, day by day, results. I am hopefully wrong but I haven't seen a single suggestion or complaint that has been 'appreciated' here in several years. 'Appreciated,' means simply acknowledged, let alone acted upon. All of us who have given up, have primarily given up due to these deaf ears. It's pretty sad I think.

I recognise the old names but I would like to see and acknowledge the new ones but I can't see you through the existing mud.

So, donya, to all you posters who are, in my opinion, and with hardly any back-up, are still striving to make a difference to new or existing brewers here. (I am still trying to do my bit but on another site so I haven't given up!) I hope others are trying to find you and do see you...

Namaste,
Pat

I sometimes quite like watching the banter on this site, there are some colourful types involved in this forum! :D There's always something going on here. If the banter starts getting boring and I want to learn about brewing I just click to another thread. Not really all that difficult.

For a variety of reasons, one being time, I don't contribute/read AHB much these days but when I do, it is always great to see some of the older posters still chugging along making a difference, in many different ways. There are also a few new guys I think who are doing the same.

Just a quick read through this thread from the start and some great names pop up...

MHB: Always excellent advice coming from a well-educated brewer. He's also never afraid to get into a scruff to try and get the right information across. Not an easy task. More often, risky! Definitely a bloke to listen to and/or enjoy.

Gryphon: Always provocative (eg, this thread - lol) but like MHB is a highly educated and accomplished brewer. A beer with Nev is always great fun and educational. Also like, MHB, he will do anything to get you brewing well.

Tony: I can't imagine AHB without Tony. It is a true pleasure corresponding with him if you get the chance and, if you read through his posts, they are always full of information that is based on his experience. He has a lot of experience and I can't remember him posting anything but sense, quality and friendship here.

manticle: manticle came on the scene just as I was heading out so I'm not sure if I have this right, but my impression is that he goes out of his way to provide consistent, quality and detailed information. I am not totally sure of this as I only drop in from time to time. If he is, good on him and you newer members should acknowledge his effort and any others I am missing in this thread if you are reading it.

InCider: This guy is one of the nicest blokes around. He'll be the first to tell you he posts a lot of shit here but this guy has a great spirit and this contributes a lot. He is a very good thinker and some of the most compelling stuff I have seen written here has been written by him. Also some of the funniest. Choosing between him and Sqyre as to who is the funniest poster would be a hard call.

ThirstyBoy: Dan is totally passionate about handing the right sort of knowledge on. And he has some stamina - his posts are as long as mine! He's a guy that likes to be very precise, as I do, but this is very hard to do even in long posts! Dan and I have had pages of frustrating correspondence in the past arguing about even how a single word can be interpreted, or worse, misinterpreted. If you ever find a bad post by ThirstyBoy (this would be very hard), take the time to read a few of his posts before and you'll see a consistent pattern of dedication and quality. (If he and I have ever disagreed on anything, just remember, I am right :).)

Batz: I remember heading off to my first swap and shitting myself because Batz would be there. I had the same impression of PostModern - another moderator. Batz might write briefly and bluntly at times but once you meet him (or PoMo), you realise what truly fun blokes they are. These guys knows about brewing, always have a heap on tap and will welcome anyone. If you ever get to visit the Bat Cave and get talking with Batz, you are in for a real treat especially if you have or enjoy a dry sense of humour. Certainly can't imagine AHB without Batz (or Doc). If you're reading this, you silly old bat, check your Batz2 email will ya!

TidalPete: Pete is another guy you need to meet in real life to get the full enjoyment. Pete's one of the many guys from QLD I really miss.

I've pretty much only commented on the names I have seen in this thread but there are many more. For example, just thinking through the mods, PintofLager is another that went to great lengths to help me out in my early days on this forum.

All of the above though I think have passion. Most of the above have been around long enough to convert that passion into knowledge and many into wisdom. A couple give us rare glimpses into wisdom that is non brewing-related.

All of them have, what I think, is the "right" spirit. (Only one needs to lift a bit but I am not going there - lol. He has too much value off-forum.)

If all of us though posted in the right spirit 95% of the time and were forgiven our or forgave other's (tolerated, as InCider said) 5% of bad posts, then I think this forum would be more productive. People who bugger up more than 5% of the time need to be looked at. Those who do more need to be got rid of.

In the old days here, you could edit or delete your posts. If you were really bad, someone would usually quote your post and you would be pulled up and then you would have to justify your error/atrocity. You usually got time to breathe though. In those days, you'd see the occasional atrocity which would be apologised for or the person would be rightly ostracised. Most of the time though, any edits or deletions were done in the spirit of improving the post or just getting rid of something that was a ramble or added no value.

When they disallowed edits and deletions on this site, I thought it was because of me as I edited nearly every post I wrote over several hours or days, occasionally months if they were threads I started and wanted to get the information right in the first post that new people would read. (I deleted a few atrocities as well - maybe 1% of my posts - sorry about those :D .) Doc told me though that this decision was not made at all because of my edits or deletions. Phew! This decision was because of another culture developing - I'm not actually sure what it was but a lot of posts started getting made without the right spirit/intent.

Maybe when a forum gets big, it needs more moderators? Perhaps it even needs sub-moderators - those who are willing to devote the time to reading everything in a single sub-forum so as they know the culture and the characters?

A bit more moderation might allow some of the characters I have mentioned above to be appreciated more and allow people like me to 'see' others I haven't been able to see. More importantly, it might give all of us a chance at 'hearing' better the questions that are being asked.

Anyway, that's a ramble of appreciation and my apologies to the hundred or so people I didn't honour but should have.

It's also a ramble hoping to catch the attention of what is known in forum-speak, as the forum, "founder." There is ever only one person that has ultimate cultural control over a forum, so, any forum is a reflection of that Founder's intentions, motivations, efforts and, day by day, results. I am hopefully wrong but I haven't seen a single suggestion or complaint that has been 'appreciated' here in several years. 'Appreciated,' means simply acknowledged, let alone acted upon. All of us who have given up, have primarily given up due to these deaf ears. It's pretty sad I think.

I recognise the old names but I would like to see and acknowledge the new ones but I can't see you through the existing mud.

So, donya, to all you posters who are, in my opinion, and with hardly any back-up, are still striving to make a difference to new or existing brewers here. (I am still trying to do my bit but on another site so I haven't given up!) I hope others are trying to find you and do see you...

Namaste,
Pat

God, you rave on about nothing...... it`s only a forum about blokes trying to make beer in plastic buckets and whatever, we`re not trying to elect the next president of U.S.A.
jfa0982l.jpg

God, you rave on about nothing...... it`s only a forum about blokes trying to make beer in plastic buckets and whatever, we`re not trying to elect the next president of U.S.A.
jfa0982l.jpg

:lol:

how's the arm from all the pats on the back PP ?

Namaste,
Pat
3rdeyepost.gif

Namaste,
Pat
Provocative, who me :p , some times I am sure I am the only one on my chain of thought.
I was originally told to dumb down my replies because they were too technical, so I did. I notice now there is a lot more people posting tech stuff, so the over all level of info has been raised, this is good to see but there is a lot of tricks you dont find in books only from years of brewing.
Good onya Pat, nice to see you still care about us old timers. I appreciate your time and thought that you put into your posts.
You have been known to be a bit provocative as well if I remember correctly.
Namaste ?
Next thing you become a vego and start eating lentils. :lol:

Old Hindu saying: "If Pats glass is empty, then he has run out of beer".
GB

BTW Pete you can still edit your posts if you are quick and they still allow you to delete a post :icon_offtopic:

BTW Pete you can still edit your posts if you are quick and they still allow you to delete a post :icon_offtopic:

Quick thinking from PP killed the edit button. It was all changed overnight due to the uproar of the shit he post`s, he would then wake up shakes the head and deletes, in the meantime he was quoted thou. Members didnt like this, and the admins listened to the members.
Like a little sissy gal, he ran off, never to be heard again except for his early hours jaunts of current affairs posting of late. A man of the world! Yeah right.

Haysie clearly has an opinion, not necessarily shared by all members of AHB, me being one of them.
There were some "interesting times" if you weren't there for them I wouldn't be too worried about it, all water under the....
Personally I think limiting the edit function was a positive change and would like to see the delete function gone as well, encourage people to think before they post shit.

One of the two posters above I would be happy to have a beer with!
Mark

Chinesehop man just moved to another site and left everyone pissed off because the owners of the forum shut down the bulks from the main board, Great! :angry:

Exactimondo! Bulk buys back to the main board please?

I just drop in to have a look around these days and keep tabs on what the old regulars may be up to.

Backyard Brewer

Haysie clearly has an opinion, not necessarily shared by all members of AHB, me being one of them.
There were some "interesting times" if you weren't there for them I wouldn't be too worried about it, all water under the....
Personally I think limiting the edit function was a positive change and would like to see the delete function gone as well, encourage people to think before they post shit.

One of the two posters above I would be happy to have a beer with!
Mark

If i was to say, MHB has an opinion, Its all good n etc but I wouldnt drink with him. Come on Mark,
All becomes a little blousy doesnt it. I stand by my post that PP himself caused all the editing problems that we have today. To advocate a delete button is coming from the church of gods. Wont happen.

jfa0982l.jpg

How true is this contribution.

Or me.

Haysie, I'll PM you over the weekend so we can clear the air. I'd rather end up with a new mate than a mortal enemy over a stink like this.

Cheers,

Sean.

I have to agree. Never have I seen such stupid and useless posts as the ones that come from him....imagine making a list of all the people you think are worth a shit and posting it.....meaning everyone else must be useless.

And the whole thing about the boat people...if he really cares..donate time and make a difference. less time posting and maybe helping in some real way. other wise don't give your useless opinion.

happy new year

What the **** are you on?

Is there a "worst threads of 2010" thread? This 1 may get some mileage.

Another useless post in my quest for 5 figures.

Well I've waited until now reading most of the posts and have to say that this thread is :icon_offtopic: . We are all to blame for this thread being off topic. Someone asks has anyone reached 10,000 posts and somehow we end up with this totaly irrevelant banter. I know that I too have added to this banter by chiming in but have had enough to drink to do so. There is so much good info on here posted by so many good people whether they come from a brewing background or not.

I mainly use the site now for recipies and to PM friends who like BEER. That is, after all, what brings us to this forumn, making beer at home. Whether your question is "One hour after pitching, my wort isn't bubbling, what to do?" or "Water profiles for authentic German Bock?" everyone started knowing SQUAT about turning barley into beer.

When a Nube asks a simple question re-direct them to the relivent thread or just don't post. One of the first threads I read got off topic and one of the mods (possibly Bats, don't quote me) wrote, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS, and I have stuck by that hoping they will disappear.

I hope the site doesn't fold as there is so much info here (and realy, the trolls will follow the crowd where ever they go) so chill and have another great brew helped to greatness from all of your friends at AHB.

Drew

Latest posts

Back