Fitting A Female QD For Party Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Gday folks,

Im trying to setup a party keg system with a soda stream bottle and 8L garden sprayer. Today I bought the sprayer and a female QD from the LHBS.

The sprayer is exactly the same as this except it is 8L.

I will fabricate a plate and washer to fit over the hole where the hand pump comes out and put the QD through that. So I went to the hardware store to try to find something I can use as a backing nut to tighten against the plate that will sit in the lid. After trying alot of fittings and talking to staff I dont think it is a 1/2' BSP or 3/8" BSP it must be different, my guess is an NPT thread? I was wondering if anyone knows of a peice that I can buy that will fit this thread or knows who supplies them?

This pic of Doc's party keg shows exactly what im trying to do only with a 8L sprayer. Will i have to take it back and buy a male QD?

Here is a pic of the QD i bought: QD.jpg QDside.jpg

Any help is greatly apreciated.

Finite,

The type of plug you want is called a Taylor plug. I use them for my projects and they have a 12mm (1/2") thread which fits the brass or S/S fittings you can get. If your HBS doesn't have them try G&G.

post-1112-1165384902.jpg

:( thanks jye,

So no way I can use the one i have?

I have a female threaded plug and wanted to do the same thing, it is from a firestone keg I believe it is a 19/32" 14tpi thread. The only way to use it is a custom turned thread.

The taylor plug with a 1/2" BSP would be much simpler.

Have you seen this post? I have sent a PM and can get some extra to save on international postage and redistribute then locally.

Have you seen this post? I have sent a PM and can get some extra to save on international postage and redistribute then locally.

glenos,

Sounds like a plan, I would be interested in a few at that price.

While we are on the topic...can someone tell me what gas in QD i want for this..i.e barb, MFL etc?

have you also seen this on how to do it?

It uses a car tyre valve for the gas in, nice and simple.

yep seen that glenos but I wanted a QD to gas with as I thought it would be a more reliable valve.

While we are on the topic...can someone tell me what gas in QD i want for this..i.e barb, MFL etc?

Finite,

Either will work fine - But my preference by far is the mfl fitting with a JG quick release fitting on the thread. It allows instant dismantling & 360 degree swivel of your lines whilst connected.

cheers Ross

Ok I made up a plate to fit in the lid from an old fermenter top which is about 3 mm thick and drilled, its pretty strong plastic. I drilled a hole to fit the qd and fitted it through the back of the hole and tapped it into place with a hammer, if you look at the bottom of the QD here: View attachment 10868 you can see the slot where it fitted (just above the hex). I then used food grade silicone on both sides. From quick tests it seems to be holding pressure with no leaks.

Im deciding whether I should use a protable keg charger to gas with or soda stream. My question is...if I use a soda stream will I have to buy a regulator? Pics to follow

Bump, sorry just wondering if anyone can fill be in on this as im going to the shops later today..will i need a reg to use a sodastream?

Absolutely you need a reg with a sodastream - they contain liquid CO2 so the pressure is exactly the same as a full size cylinder - ie, very very high.

If you've already got a reg then you need an adaptor to fit the sodastream thread (about $40). If you don't have a reg then that will set you back about $80.

Finite,

The type of plug you want is called a Taylor plug. I use them for my projects and they have a 12mm (1/2") thread which fits the brass or S/S fittings you can get. If your HBS doesn't have them try G&G.

post-1112-1165384902.jpg

Perfect that's exactly what i need for my Maccas mini kegs.. Jye.
just checked the G&G site.. annoyingly pictures NEVER work for me on their site.???
but i gather it would be this.. "tank plug taylor for Aus kegs - Gas - Male thread" $23.25

in your picture the thread looks a little short for my needs..? is that deceptive or a true indication.?

(sorry for slight hijack)

Perfect that's exactly what i need for my Maccas mini kegs.. Jye.
just checked the G&G site.. annoyingly pictures NEVER work for me on their site.???
but i gather it would be this.. "tank plug taylor for Aus kegs - Gas - Male thread" $23.25

in your picture the thread looks a little short for my needs..? is that deceptive or a true indication.?

(sorry for slight hijack)

The thread isnt very long but should make it through the wall of a keg. There is another pic of the thread in this thread.

Any further help will cost one one of those kegs :lol:

you never know your luck Jye... i have more on the way (i believe) pity your in Brisbane :p :D

that thread looks like it should accomadate a washer/O ring and lock nut if i put a hole in the keg lid....

you never know your luck Jye... i have more on the way (i believe) pity your in Brisbane :p :D

that thread looks like it should accomadate a washer/O ring and lock nut if i put a hole in the keg lid....

Should have no worries with a washer and nut, would be worth while going to your LHBS and trying one out.

Shipping isnt that expensive :D

2 x taylors gas posts (male thread) ordered from G&G
(i.e. they have them in stock if anyone is looking)

Ok I made up a plate to fit in the lid from an old fermenter top which is about 3 mm thick and drilled, its pretty strong plastic. I drilled a hole to fit the qd and fitted it through the back of the hole and tapped it into place with a hammer, if you look at the bottom of the QD here: View attachment 10868 you can see the slot where it fitted (just above the hex). I then used food grade silicone on both sides. From quick tests it seems to be holding pressure with no leaks.

Im deciding whether I should use a protable keg charger to gas with or soda stream. My question is...if I use a soda stream will I have to buy a regulator? Pics to follow

Where are the pictures ???

Would like to see what your solution was for using the QD for gas as I would also prefer to use it to a car valve.

Back