Fitting A Ball Valve To A Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got myself a Ball Valve to add to my 19 litre pot. Hopefully it will give me a better chance of getting wort into the fermenter without as much trub.

Here it is:

Ball_Valve.JPG

Now, the gap between the Hex on the left and the Ball Valve is about 2mm, but the pot wall is about 1mm thick. What specific washers would I use to fix this? Would I use them inside or outside the pot. Will heat effect them on either side?

Some help would be appreciated.

Get yourself a stainless washer (like this one), and a silicone o-ring (like this one).

The stainless washer goes on the outside. It will add stability to your tap, and prevent crushing/warping of the thin pot wall.

The silicone o-ring should provide a liquid-tight seal.

Your other option is a length of stainless all-thread, and lock-nut, then you can get as tight a seal as you need, as the lock-nut tightens against the washer and body of your ball-valve.

Having installed a few ball valves on the weekend in various pots including a 19lt id be getting the threaded rod a few lock nuts and washers with some silicon orings. Thread tape is also your friend to stop leaks on the thread. The setup you are proposing also leaves you no option to put a pickup tube on the inside whereas the threaded rod will let you use 1/2" items on the pot if you choose. The pot is very thing and when drilling it can easily warp aswell so take it easy when drilling.

For $50, you can have my 35lt aluminium pot, pre-drilled and ready to go.

I'll throw in a 3 ring burner and regulator as well.

Pick up only, sorry. PM me if interested.

For $50, you can have my 35lt aluminium pot, pre-drilled and ready to go.

I'll throw in a 3 ring burner and regulator as well.

Pick up only, sorry. PM me if interested.

My God. Thanks. PM on the way.

you can always get a Skin fitting cut it down a bit and get some silicon bakeware to make some silicone seals out of

cheers matho

Back