Fitting 4mm Lines To Quick Disconnects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rysa555

Reaction score
Hi,
I am installing a second hand lancer pacific font, the lines came that came with the font have an ID = 4mm and wall of 2mm.
How am i supposed to fit these onto a Quick Disconnect Barb as they appear to small?
Cheers
Ryan

Soak the end in boiling water for a few seconds and then try and wedge them on!

Cheers

It's easier if you can get your hands on a little dolly (kinda looks like a stepped drift) that goes though the centre of the collet, and then the collet sits on the shoulder of it if you know what I mean, at the step. This gives you a little bit of leverage. As nick suggested, you have to soak the end of the line in boiling water for 20 seconds or so to get it pliable...There's an art to it, but once you get it it's pretty easy.

Also make sure you have 4mm collets, if you got new ones, and not 5mm jobbies..

collets??, are you just trying to push the hose onto the barb?? I don't think yuo'll get a 4mm hose on there, they are made for 6mm ID hose, it's difficult enough getting the 5mm stuff on. can you replace the hose with 5-6mm?

Heat the end of the hose in boiling water > stick hose over the end of needle-nose pliers > stretch hose by opening pliers > reheat hose in boiling water > repeat as necessary > push hose onto barb > apply hose clamp. Works for me.

Just keep your nuckels out the way.. taken many of a pile of skin off doing this.. John Guest your my hero..

Cheers Vice

Sorry... a little tired when I posted and confused it with putting the collets for QD's for a font... It's ok, I'm with it now.. :mellow:

dont forget to heat the end of the BARB in boiling water too. if you heat just the hose, the second you make contact with a cold barb it just starts cooling the hose down. heat both and you should be ok.

dont forget to heat the end of the BARB in boiling water too. if you heat just the hose, the second you make contact with a cold barb it just starts cooling the hose down. heat both and you should be ok.

I have a similar question, my font has the 4ml line but its only very short, so i will need to connect another line to it.. can i get a joiner to attach another line? if so can someone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Greeno

thanks for the help guys
it turned out the hose was too thick for the hot water to have much of a effect, so i got creative and stuck the drill down the hose and thinned it out, actually worked perfectly!

Heat the end of the hose in boiling water > stick hose over the end of needle-nose pliers > stretch hose by opening pliers > reheat hose in boiling water > repeat as necessary > push hose onto barb > apply hose clamp. Works for me.
+1. and a small screwdriver also helps. jam that in then the pliers.

I had a lot of fun doing this with my 6way gas manifold. lots of skin off the knuckles. use lots of boiling water and often.

thanks for the help guys
it turned out the hose was too thick for the hot water to have much of a effect, so i got creative and stuck the drill down the hose and thinned it out, actually worked perfectly!
umm boiling water would have done the trick. all youve done is weakened the structural integrity of the line. make sure your clamps are on well and dont cut into the line.

I have a similar question, my font has the 4ml line but its only very short, so i will need to connect another line to it.. can i get a joiner to attach another line? if so can someone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Greeno

yep, have a search for John Guest fittings.

Back