First Whit Beer Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Hey all, I done a whitbeer 4 days ago, first attempt at BIAB whitbeer, got the white colour alright so was happy with that, but shit did it turn out bitter.
I don't know enough about this style beer to say wheather I have done it wrong, but the bitterness did worry me, am I right in thinking this is the raw wheat adding sourness to the beer?.

I used 60% pilsner, 40% raw flaked wheat 500 g falked oats, then used around 15g crushed corriander, 21g fresh orange peel and 14g bitter orange peel (all added with 20min to go on boil). the hop IBU was low at 19ibu and consisted of goldings and B sazz.............oh yeh and it was a 24 litre batch.

I just hope I didn't over do the orange peel, my thinking was to offset the bitter orange with the fresh orange peel adding a sweet flavour.

Did the orange peel have the white pith on it? I am not 100% sure of Whitbeer but the use of orange peel in the culinary world means no use of pith - the pith makes it bitter.. the peel gives it all of those awesome orangey/ citrusy oils as flavouring ...

IMO the orange pith would have made your beer bitter... not Hoppy bitter :)

Hey all, I done a whitbeer 4 days ago, first attempt at BIAB whitbeer, got the white colour alright so was happy with that, but shit did it turn out bitter.
I don't know enough about this style beer to say wheather I have done it wrong, but the bitterness did worry me, am I right in thinking this is the raw wheat adding sourness to the beer?.

I used 60% pilsner, 40% raw flaked wheat 500 g falked oats, then used around 15g crushed corriander, 21g fresh orange peel and 14g bitter orange peel (all added with 20min to go on boil). the hop IBU was low at 19ibu and consisted of goldings and B sazz.............oh yeh and it was a 24 litre batch.

I just hope I didn't over do the orange peel, my thinking was to offset the bitter orange with the fresh orange peel adding a sweet flavour.

If its overtyl bitter, did you use the bitter orange peel you get from asian grocers? if it has the pith (white membrane) still attached that could be contributing to the bitterness you speak of. Other than that your recipe sounds spot on. The raw wheat should be sour. Maybe tart (in conjunction with the yeast profile) but never sour. Sour = infected.

I've got one planned for this weekend and will be using the zest of oranges (just the orange bit), rather than the whole peel. Should save on it getting too bitter.

yeh I used the bitter orange peel from brewcraft, so that was the right stuff, the fresh peel I just used the zest which I grated..............maybe I'm just not used to this style beer, it could be the tartness of the raw wheat which is throwing me off.
damn these new style beers.... heheh, I can't help but play around, then get worried.........I wouldn't think it's infection.

my main worry was that I had used too much orange peel.... when I first planned it, i was only going to use 14g of the bitter orange peel, then I read something about them using fresh peel to balance it out, so threw that In 20g fresh as last minute decission.

Back