First Time Racked To Secondary...super Scary!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah Harry is well gone...

The shelf is full of grinders... blue ones... about 5 of them...

Can't wait for desolation.... Should be dancing like a epo...

Well I don't feel like a idiot now lol

Hey Mate, I think the replies have displayed that your concern levels were indicated at a high reading! - Dont stress!

Seriously though, its the best practice to be absolutely thorough about everything you do when transferring wort, in particular post ferment....

Racking, bottling etc - your sanitation routine should be well lubed!

Sorry if I, or others have made you feel like you are asking or posting a stupid question because you are not!

'Rack' hehehe...

:lol:

All in good fun mate.

Although I think Cocko was quite serious..... ;)

Yes I am, 3 days.

Racking into a glass carboy? That can be a little hairy. They make handles. I haven't dropped one yet. There is a vinyl racking cap for glass carboys. You feed your racking cane through one hole, seal the top and blow air into the other, which forces the beer into the racking tube to start the siphon. Very slick. You could use CO2 if you worry about a 5 second exposure to your breath.

Try wine. That is racking all the time and adding water to replace the fluid that evaporated. I'm always worried about infecting it.

Racking into a glass carboy? That can be a little hairy. They make handles. I haven't dropped one yet. There is a vinyl racking cap for glass carboys. You feed your racking cane through one hole, seal the top and blow air into the other, which forces the beer into the racking tube to start the siphon. Very slick. You could use CO2 if you worry about a 5 second exposure to your breath.

Try wine. That is racking all the time and adding water to replace the fluid that evaporated. I'm always worried about infecting it.

What about an "easy siphon"? They are actually designed around transferring liquid from a 23L glass carboy. And let's be honest, a carboy full to the brim is only about 26kg. Sure it's a bit awkward, but it's not that heavy.

If you're that worried, you could always figure out a way to siphon to and from the carboy without moving it from it's fermenting location (until it's empty) (for me, that's inside a fridge). Just make sure the carboy is high enough inside the fridge that you've got enough room to rack to bottles or kegs below it. Transferring TO the carboy from your mixing pot or whatever is just a matter of getting THAT above the level of the carboy. In my brewshed this would as easy as lifting it onto the 4 foot workbench beside the fridge and running the siphon dowards into the carboy mouth. Remember, keep the chest up, bend from the knees and keep your spinae errectors and abdominals tense during heavy lifting :p

Latest posts

Back