First time grain brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon if you know all the steps you have to do, plan them out, and when you've got a day spare in the kitchen go for it. You'll be right!

But since there are different ways of turning large portions of grain and water into beer - 'brewing in a bag', or using brewing urns - the most important question is the one asked above by Manticle, ie, 'What equipment do you have'? Maybe the kit you bought came with some equipment - maybe a bag?

I mash in an esky, do high gravity boils in the 19L stockpot, then dilute to 23 litres in the FV.
Works a treat, all I had to buy was the stockpot.
I have sorted my method and will buy bling sometime.

Don't let people put you off, jump in the deep end for sure.
Use some brewing software - Beersmith is great and has a trial use available.
It will tell you how much water at what temperature to use. Same for the sparge water.

Hi all,

This is the not so scarred newbie again ... :D
I have done some research as well as reading all the helpful posts from all you guys .. Very much appreciated too by the way :)
On reading your posts above I can answer with these ..

andy@67 ... I am in Brisbane and I will take your advice and seek out a demonstration ..

fergthebrewer ... Thanks mate .. I was wondering what to do with the leftovers

sb944 ... That's just what I needed mate .. Plain English at this early stage until I get used to the jargon. I may have to coax my lovely wife to Spotlight and Big W .. which shouldn't be too hard .. Lol .. I am keen to do half a batch for the first couple of times to "get the hang of it"

manticle ... All I was given was the 23L plastic fermenter, long plastic stirrer, long bottlebrush, bench capper, bottle caps, long plastic tube with a stopper in the end (?), airlock, brewing hydrometer, plastic measuring spoon and a stick on thermometer ... Basic stuff with nothing technical ... Yet (Lol)

Tim T ... I think I have a better picture in my mind now of what to do / how to do it .. If I can get my bum into gear ... Look out long weekend ..

indica86 ... I am not put off in the slightest, rather just lost as to what to do with this AG stuff (first use of the tech words .. lookout here I come) .. Will also give Beersmith a look too

Thanks heaps to all for the valued input ..

Lol. I used to live in Toowoomba which would have been a nice day trip for you. Mildura might take slightly longer though. However I am sure there are plenty of brewers in Brisvagas that will chime in to help out.

Cheers,

Andrew.

G'day all .. again,

Just had a thought - if I split up all the ingredients to make two smaller brews, will I be able to store the Wyeast in a zip seal bag for a few days, or does it have to be used all at once (sealed liquid kept in fridge) ... Gee you guys knew that already ... DOH !!!!

Cheers

Ray

Hi Goomba,

I have finally managed to look at the vids you have posted up ... yay!
Very informative and just what a "lay brewer" like me needed. Thank you very much as I now am beginning to understand the process.
I have made contact with my local brewing club (grains) and am off to the first meeting for the year next Tuesday. :party:
Needless to say, I will be up and running soon :beer:
I would like to extend my thanks to you and all those on this thread that have provided thoughts, ideas and views.

Very Happy ... Jan .. Lol

Cheers

Ray

It will be good for you to know why you are doing what you are doing.

Malted grain contains enzymes and starches. With the right conditions, some of those enzymes are capable of breaking the starch chains up so they become digestible by brewer's yeast - essentially converting starch to sugar.

Of those conditions, hydration and temperature are most important. Thus you crack the grain so the interior is exposed and easily hydrated and the starch converted with water of a certain temperature over a period of time.

Then you separate the spent grain from the sugary liquid, bring it to a boil to develop colour, flavour and drive off unwanted compounds. During the boil you add hops which add bittering compounds (to balance the sweetness) flavour and aromatics.

You then cool this or allow it to cool in a manner which prevents attack from unwanted micro-organisms so you can add your chosen micro-organism (ie Brewer's yeast).

Ferment under controlled conditions (temperature) to lessen the likelihood of bad flavours, condition then package -either in a bottle or a keg.

In your case, the grain should have been sold cracked and you will probably use a bag to separate the grain from the liquid and boil in the same pot.

I did the same than you on my first attempted and kinda rushed it with not gaining all the correct knowledge first, I will tell you now it was a bad idea!! Lol.. First mistake I made was not making a wort chiller! This is very important in the cooling process, get yourself down to Bunnings and buy 2 meters of cooper pipe for $12 its the best investment ever..
Good luck

hoppymonster said:
I did the same than you on my first attempted and kinda rushed it with not gaining all the correct knowledge first, I will tell you now it was a bad idea!! Lol.. First mistake I made was not making a wort chiller! This is very important in the cooling process, get yourself down to Bunnings and buy 2 meters of cooper pipe for $12 its the best investment ever..
Good luck
Or just no-chill. That is when you transfer the sweet (ie. unfermented, just-boiled with hops) wort in to a suitable container (20L food grade jerry can - known as a no-chill cube) and screw the lid on tight so no air can get in. Then just leave to cool. You can leave it in the cube for months if you want and when you're ready to ferment you dump the wort in a fermenter and add yeast.

Certainly the way I would go if you're new to the process as it's one less piece of equipment to worry about and one less thing to go wrong. Many people (myself included) never bother with a chiller.

Lo chubby,I started all grain maybe the same as you.Possibly a bit more experienced.
Find All grain stovetop for under $30 and you won;t look back.
Another tip is to download "Brewmate".It,'s free and simple to use when you get used to it.
Won't confuse the issue any more but I'm at Coomera and any help I can give is no trouble.
Good luck with it.It is not rocket science or magic, just don't get frightened by the big words.

Latest posts

Back