First Time Adding Grain - Tooheys Old Style Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog_y2k6

Reaction score
Gday All

I have tried to use the AHB search function to find a recipe, but without much luck. After making 10 or so brews with reasonable success. i have decided to try my hand at steeping grain to add to my extract. I want to make a tooheys old style beer but have found lots of vastly different recipes, confusing me greatly, has anyone got a really good one??

Cheers Bulldog

searching for "tooheys old" gives about 15 results. theres plenty of recipes for an 'old' style ale. There may not be one called a clone because you can make better ones and its all a matter of preference of taste as to why recipes vary.

you could also widden the search to "old". theres plenty out there.

I dont specifically have one for Tooheys old so I wont quote any receipes. I have plenty of dark ales that arent specific clones if you interested. so will many other AHB members. or just search for "dark ale" or similar wording.

personally something like this would be better than Toheys Old IMO

1 x mahogony porter (or Tooheys Dark if you want)
0.4kg DDME
0.5kg morgans masterblend dark crystal LME (or similar)
0.3kg Choc Malt Grain
0.150kg Roasted Barley
0.2kg Crystal
28g. EKG @ 60 min.
12g Fuggle @ 15 min.
should give OG1.043, FG 1.012, 4.6%

Hell thrown in 20g of black patent grain just for fun if your game.

Are you using the search function here, or using something like google to search the site?
Use something like: tooheys old site:aussiehomebrewer.com in google and you might find some better results...

You could of course be doing this already and just be facing the fact that there is an awful lot of information out there to sift through...

city morgue's recipe looks like it would be good, and also right on the searching for 'old ale' or 'dark ale' as well.

searching for "tooheys old" gives about 15 results. theres plenty of recipes for an 'old' style ale. There may not be one called a clone because you can make better ones and its all a matter of preference of taste as to why recipes vary.

you could also widden the search to "old". theres plenty out there.

I dont specifically have one for Tooheys old so I wont quote any receipes. I have plenty of dark ales that arent specific clones if you interested. so will many other AHB members. or just search for "dark ale" or similar wording.

personally something like this would be better than Toheys Old IMO

1 x mahogony porter (or Tooheys Dark if you want)
0.4kg DDME
0.5kg morgans masterblend dark crystal LME (or similar)
0.3kg Choc Malt Grain
0.150kg Roasted Barley
0.2kg Crystal
28g. EKG @ 60 min.
12g Fuggle @ 15 min.
should give OG1.043, FG 1.012, 4.6%

Hell thrown in 20g of black patent grain just for fun if your game.

Thanks Citymorgue, that recipe looks great, what kind of flavours would the black patent give?? what yeast would you suggest??

Bconnery - Yeh its just the shear amount of variation in the recipes that has got me confused, i did find some on AHB, i have more luck using google to search AHB than with the search function

black patent is an extremely dark malt and gives burnt/smokey flavours and dark colour. it can be very harsh in moderate quantities so only use a little.

any yeast for a stout or good ale would do
Liquid - White Labs WLP002 English Ale,
dry- nottingham or windsor, or Safe-04 failing all else

my preference would be nottingham.

Latest posts

Back