First lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's basically the method I've been using since around this time last year. It works well for me so I'm happy to continue using it.

Rocker1986 said:
That's basically the method I've been using since around this time last year. It works well for me so I'm happy to continue using it.
Do you 2 guys above experience any extra diacetyl because of the quick lager method? The reason I ask is because I tryed it on my last lager (Munich Helles) and it took 7 days post FG to clean up the diacetyl. Im not sure if it was the quick lager or the Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II yeast I used as I hadnt used that strain before. The strain info suggests it is a low diacetyl producer.

I'm either gonna guess that there's not much there or I can't detect it personally because I've never had any problems with diacetyl in lagers fermented with that schedule. I've only used Wyeast 2001 Urquell yeast on them. Mine usually get about 5 days post FG at the higher temp, perhaps being at 18 it cleans up quicker? :unsure:

Rocker1986 said:
I'm either gonna guess that there's not much there or I can't detect it personally because I've never had any problems with diacetyl in lagers fermented with that schedule. I've only used Wyeast 2001 Urquell yeast on them. Mine usually get about 5 days post FG at the higher temp, perhaps being at 18 it cleans up quicker? :unsure:
Mine also finished at 18 I think and I left it there or possibly raised it even higher (id have to jump on the computer to check my records but currently im very happy drinking kölsch on the couch) to try get rid of that diacetyl. It eventually went after the week.

Ive got a czech pilsner i inadvertantly used the quick lager method on, which used wy2278, at fg atm and I did a diacetyl test today. I think it has a tiny bit of the precursor still left in there so will let it sit at 18 degrees a bit longer however it is much cleaner than the helles at this stage of the ferment.

Maybe I got unlucky with the helles, maybe it was the yeast, maybe it was the ferment schedule but it cleaned up and was a great beer to drink in the end.

kaiserben said:
How do you do the test for diacetyl?
On a homebrew level, google 'diacetyl force test'. On a commercial level, fancy scientific equipment.

I follow brulosphy lager method and it works well for me. 1 full week with S23 at 12 degrees pitched from 3 ltr starter. Then raise temp 1 degree per day over 2 nd week. Till it gets to 19 , Day 15 cc down to 0, fine or filter and keg 1 week later. Happy with results.

Back