First Home Brew Starter Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinidea

Reaction score
Hello,

Been reading up on home beer brewing for a few weeks now and was looking into purchasing my first home brew kit. Done a reasonable amount of fermentation study at uni (chemical engineering) and from the reading feel like I've got a semi-decent grasp on the basics. Just had a few questions on which kit to purchase.

Was looking at something like:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOMEBREW-STARTER-KIT-By-COPPER-TUN-FOR-89-INTERNATIONAL-PILSNER-/171279584448?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item27e10f0cc0&_uhb=1

or

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Beer-Brewer%27s-Budget-Starter-Kit.html

Any reason why I should pick one over the other or doesn't really matter? Is there another one I should look into?

Thanks

I noticed neither of these kits include bottles, although they both have crown seals and a hand capper. You will need to get a supply of bottles, either drinking/emptying them or buying new bottles.

The Coopers kit includes 30 PET bottles.

A few brewers prefer glass bottles, but the plastic Pet bottles are good for the beginning brewer. I have a mixture of both at the moment.

Hey there

I started with a Coopers Kit, which at the time came with no bottles (1996 i think)- however as gTrain stated they now do come with the bottles and practically everything you need-

I have a large supply of glass bottles from many years of 'collecting' (just cleaned 156 longnecks...) but still use a few PET bottles a 'giveaways'.

Grab a coopers kit (sold at K-Mart in SA) and your away.

maybe read up a bit more in regards to the temp to brew at (This forum will definitely guide you in the correct direction) and you'll be drinking HB in no time

ah yes, forgot to mention someone has collected 60 longnecks for me, just need to clean them.

So nothing particularily better or noteworthy about those kits than a Coopers kit I could find at Big W/K-Mart?

Thanks for the replies

They seem pretty similar to the coopers kit I got this year. I would ditch the hand capper and get a bench model though if you do get one of them unless you like the idea of belting caps onto bottles with a hammer :)

From my experience country brewer is massively expensive for what u get. I bought allot of stuff from them only cruise it was the right place at the right time. But if I looked into it would have gone else were. The ones from big w give u everything u need and even comes with everything u need for a first brew including the coopers brew can.

I'd personally be choosing the eBay one purely because it has a 30L fermenter with screw on lid. The country brewer one has a 25L pail style one with clip on lid.
The 30L fermenters give u a little more breathing space for higher gravity brews with 'active' fermentation.

Back