First Foray Into Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdbrown

Reaction score
I brewed a double batch of premium american lager the other week and NC into 2 cubes. Last night had planned to dump them both into the 60L fermenter and use some saved yeast from Bohpils which I racked. Opened the first, all smelled nice and dumped it, opened the second and initially got a strong smell of plastic/chlorine smell, no smell of wort at all. Just inside the openening of the cube was some white sludge. Last time I had an infection in the cube the thing swelled up pretty quickly while the bacteria did it's job, this time there was just a sludge and no smell. I decided not to risk the whole lot and recapped the cube.

I took a smell of the cube today and there wasn't the strong chemical smell, but I could smell the wort, so maybe the initial hit of the gas in the cube last night stopped me from smelling other things? Any idea what could cause the smell/slugde. I always soak the inside of cubes in napisan unscented and rinse with cold water 3 or 4 times.

I tested the grav in the fermenter and it was 1.074 instead of the target 1.056. When draining to the 2 cubes is it normal for one cube to be higher grav than the other? Is it like draining a mash where the first runnings is higher than second? I do top up 10L after the boil but don't think I would have filled one cube and then just topped up the other. Maybe I got more that 65% efficiency with the rice and better milling of the grains this time. Anyway, added 6L of water to get it down to target OG.

Hope the 40L of weizen I have is ok.

This is a little perplexing, if any critters have taken hold surely the gravity would be dropping if infected?

I cant see the difference in a liquid split between two cubes being vastly different in SG's if its drained within a reasonable period of time (i.e. not allowing denser matter to settle lower in the kettle).

I would be treating this second batch with caution mate, pitch yeast now and taste during the ferment.

Double check those readings too imo.

The first cube seemed fine and it had a grav of 1.074 before adding water to drop it. The 2nd cube which is suspect is sitting on the shed floor - I haven't taken a reading of it and didn't dare chuck it in with the good cube. I'll check the grav tonight. Maybe I actually hit a good effeciency this time. At 65% I was aiming at 1.056.

If the bohpils was actually done and ready to keg then I'd have space to ferment the 2 batches separately, but as such have bohpils taking up the small fridge and the 28L of yank lager in a 60L ferm in the other.

Latest posts

Back