First Double Ag Batch Tomorrow Morning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
doing my first double batch of blonde tomorrow morning, have been doing singles so now i have rejigged the brewery to do doubles

i am going to use 60 odd liters of water for n
mash and double batch sparge.

is it okay to use 30 liters into my mash tun for my mash. then break the remaining water to batch sparge into two lots of 17 liters to sparge,
otherwise i can do 3 lots of 22 liters.
grain bill is 9 kilos.

fergi

doing my first double batch of blonde tomorrow morning, have been doing singles so now i have rejigged the brewery to do doubles

i am going to use 60 odd liters of water for n
mash and double batch sparge.

is it okay to use 30 liters into my mash tun for my mash. then break the remaining water to batch sparge into two lots of 17 liters to sparge,
otherwise i can do 3 lots of 22 liters.
grain bill is 9 kilos.

fergi

Not a problem with the method you just described. 3:1 ratio for the mash, and then sparge with the rest of the water how you like. (equal split or fill tun with 1st sparge and the remainder in the 2nd)

Good luck and enjoy.

:icon_cheers:

I do a 30L + 11KG into 45L tun then double sparge a total of 45L on top.
Sounds fun.

thanks guys, i will go with the 30 liter mash then split the other 30 odd liters into a double batch sparge.
cheers fergi

thanks guys, i will go with the 30 liter mash then split the other 30 odd liters into a double batch sparge.
cheers fergi

raining here at the moment,"unusual for adelaide lately" waiting for it to clear so i can get started on my first double blonde, dont know how it will go but i guess in the end it will be 45 liters of something.
fergi

raining here at the moment,"unusual for adelaide lately" waiting for it to clear so i can get started on my first double blonde, dont know how it will go but i guess in the end it will be 45 liters of something.
fergi

hasnt rained in adelaide for a month. so today trying my upgraded brewery to do double batches its pissing down.
looks like theres only thunder storms up this way, 80 ks from adelaide, looks like adelaide is fine, bugger, picked the wrong day this time.

gutters are overflowing,temp is too cool for mash ,

cold wind blowing so its cooling everything off too quick.

missed my mash temp by 2 deg, wanted 66 got 64.

back later,,,, fergi

hasnt rained in adelaide for a month. so today trying my upgraded brewery to do double batches its pissing down.
looks like theres only thunder storms up this way, 80 ks from adelaide, looks like adelaide is fine, bugger, picked the wrong day this time.

gutters are overflowing,temp is too cool for mash ,

cold wind blowing so its cooling everything off too quick.

missed my mash temp by 2 deg, wanted 66 got 64.

back later,,,, fergi

Bugger...hang in their.

I often mash in the low 60's.

Boil up some of your sparge water to increase mash temp if you are concerned.

well i.m finished.

got two cubes filled .

so the problems i encountered along the way.

first thing was my mash temp should have been 66 deg , it ended up @64 deg,after 1 hour it was 63 deg,
what will this do to my finished product.
one of the problems here was the wind was blowing really strong, rained very heavy making the wind factor a lot worse.

boil went ok, used my 3 ring gas and a over the side electric element to boost it up.
ended up boiling with the element and one ring of the gas .

the 3 ring managed a boil once it got going by itself, i decided it wasn,t vigorous enough so i dropped in the element and went with one ring, this gave a nice rolling boil.

once the boil was finished the next problem was the siphoning from the kettle through the stainless clover ball lock tap.
inside the kettle it has a beerbelly hop strainer and it needs to siphon the last 2 inches from the kettle, well i am waiting for the clover clamp for the outside of the tap where the hose slips on and is supposed to lock everything in place,
i improvised by winding gas tape around the seal with electrical tape as well, problem here was i got the first cube filled but the second cube was halfway filled when the tape gave way.
i lost a couple of liters of wort but managed to tape it up again to get the last half cube of wort.

i ended up being one and a half liters short so i filled the cube to the top with boiling water,this is going to make a bit of a difference i think to that cube but shouldnt be a big difference hopefully.

all up it took me 4 1/2 hours for a double, usually takes me 4 hours for a single so its well worth getting the bigger setup.

cheers fergi

Latest posts

Back