First Crack At A Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adniels3n

Reaction score
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 11.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.2
IBU Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 % Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5.00 kg Ale Malt (BB) (6.3 EBC) Grain 83.33 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt 1 (Wey) (14.0 EBC) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (BB) (3.2 EBC) Grain 8.33 %

20.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
25.00 gm Centennial [9.10 %] (20 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops
S-05 Yeast

The Munich is there because I love malty beers. Would BB Ale be malty enough alone?
The Wheat is there because I like good head & read it's a good thing.
The Northern Brewer is there because I don't have enough Centennial or Cascade to bitter with.
I reckon it's worth a crack & I'll brew it this weekend, but input is forever welcome.

Looks like a good interpretation of the American Pale Ale style. Nothing wrong with the Munich. More malty flavour than the crystal sweetness a lot of people go for. Good mix of hops. I would consider dry hopping with a little of the Cascade and Centennial too.

I have never had wheat give me good head :) but it will lend a dry slightly tart finnish to the beer in large enough amounts.

IMO the old addage of 5% wheat to improve head retention is a farce...... it was said to be because wheat has a higher protein content but its like 1% difference. I say keep the wheat for use in larger amounts to get the character of wheat in the beer. Try making an american wheat for your next brew.

Munich is designed to be used as a base malt....... 8% will add a small touch of some biscuity toasty malt but wont really change the beer.

I say keep it simple 2 malts, ale and munich, up the munich to 20% so you notice it in there and other than that, it looks fine.

cheers

Agree with Tony on both the wheat and the Munich. I use Munich a lot in my beers usuallly from 20% and up.
I stopped using wheat some time ago as I found that head retention was more to do with mashing temp mashout temps and not letting the temp drop as the wort is transferred into the kettle, well thats what has worked for me anyhow.

Cheers
Gavo

Thanks for the info. I'll up the Munich up to 20% as toasty biscuits is the flavour I'm after. I'll save the wheat for a dedicated beer later down the track (got a Craftbrewer Cougar Wit ready to rack tomorrow)

I've been using 20% munich II in all of my beers recently. Apart from enjoying the beer, I love the smell of the mash & the golden colour of my spent grain pile. At some stage I'll get around to brewing a 100% munich beer just to find out why everyone keeps telling me not to.

Latest posts

Back