First Brewday. Still married? Wort Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Reaction score
So.. first brewday with my new second hand Braumeister 20.
First dough in I forgot bottom filters so dumped, re-milled and went again.. all seemed ok.
I was trying DrS's Golden Ale.. of course, I didn't have the grain called for so substituted a bit, didn't mind as this was really just a trial to get clicking with the equipment. I used Gladfield Ale Malt, Vienna, Bohemian Wheat & Light Cyrstal. Amarillo in a hop bag.
The mash temp changes took longer than I expected so it may have been in too long? Had 8.5P at mashout.
Sparged 3 litres. Boiled down to 21ltrs. Chilled through PC into f'saurus, in at about 21'C.
SG 1.043. Wort was a lot darker than expected.
Pitched US05 at about 22'C.
10 hr brewday........SHEEEESH.
Checked on the fermenter this morning and it doesn't look like anything that's happened to any of my worts. Iceberg looking furry globs.
So as far as learning my equipment.. all went ok.. beer though? Does that wort look infected?

Attachments

• Photo 8-4-19, 7 21 40 am.jpg
    Photo 8-4-19, 7 21 40 am.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 336
looks like some hot or cold break to me, ignore it for now

Yeah that's fine, my last brew did this, nothing to worry about at this stage!

Cheers guys. Would that be removed if i whirpooled longer/better?
Might get some more of it out. Easiest to just let it settle out with gravity, then rack the cleared beer off the top.

As others have said, that's just hot break. Nothing to worry about - your beer's just fine.

You haven't mashed in for too long. Keep in mind it takes a commercial brewer wayyy longer to heat up and cool down their 2,000 litres of wort than it does for you with just 20 litres.

Did you use Whirfloc? Did you whirlpool your wort after the boil? If not, try both next brew.

Did you oxygenate your wort in any way before pitching? Insufficient oxygen is the most likely reason your yeast took its time to kick off. While you want to avoid O2 like the plague after fermentation, it's crucial to the health of your yeast at the onset of fermentayion. The cheapest methods to oxygenate are letting your wort fall into the fermenter and splash from height and/or shaking the fermenter vigorously for 5 minutes. Keep in mind these methods will give you 3PPM of oxygen if you're lucky - 9-10PPM is consifdered optimal according to Chris White. Also, if you like a cleaner ale, try pitching and fermenting your US05 at 18 next time.

Let us know how this one turns out.

Using dry yeast US05 does not require any oxygen or aeration, Lallamand, Fermentis and most other dry yeast providers recommend not to aerate / oxygenate wort. The dry yeast contains enough sterols and UFA's to see them through the growth stage, and Fermentis goes as far to say that even if the yeast was harvested that it could take a couple more goes before any aeration would be necessary.

You're right @wide eyed and legless. Oxygenation is just a means to an end (allowing synthesis of sterols and UFAs) and if they are already present in sufficient quantities, there's no point to oxygenate further. Basically, whether or not you need to oxygenate, and the effects that oxygenating will have, will depend on the physical state of the yeast and its particular nutrient reserves. I always oxygenate my wort - when using dry yeast, I just oxygenate by adding the wort to my fermenter from height (splashing) and vigorously shaking it around the fermenter, not using an oxygen kit.

So.. first brewday with my new second hand Braumeister 20.
First dough in I forgot bottom filters so dumped, re-milled and went again.. all seemed ok.
I was trying DrS's Golden Ale.. of course, I didn't have the grain called for so substituted a bit, didn't mind as this was really just a trial to get clicking with the equipment. I used Gladfield Ale Malt, Vienna, Bohemian Wheat & Light Cyrstal. Amarillo in a hop bag.
The mash temp changes took longer than I expected so it may have been in too long? Had 8.5P at mashout.
Sparged 3 litres. Boiled down to 21ltrs. Chilled through PC into f'saurus, in at about 21'C.
SG 1.043. Wort was a lot darker than expected.
Pitched US05 at about 22'C.
10 hr brewday........SHEEEESH.
Checked on the fermenter this morning and it doesn't look like anything that's happened to any of my worts. Iceberg looking furry globs.
So as far as learning my equipment.. all went ok.. beer though? Does that wort look infected?
IT,S ALL PART OF THE FUN. THAT IS NOT AN INFECTION. WORT LOOKS GOOD.

Using dry yeast US05 does not require any oxygen or aeration, Lallamand, Fermentis and most other dry yeast providers recommend not to aerate / oxygenate wort. The dry yeast contains enough sterols and UFA's to see them through the growth stage, and Fermentis goes as far to say that even if the yeast was harvested that it could take a couple more goes before any aeration would be necessary.

Great Info.. thanks WEAL

As others have said, that's just hot break. Nothing to worry about - your beer's just fine.

You haven't mashed in for too long. Keep in mind it takes a commercial brewer wayyy longer to heat up and cool down their 2,000 litres of wort than it does for you with just 20 litres.

Did you use Whirfloc? Did you whirlpool your wort after the boil? If not, try both next brew.

Did you oxygenate your wort in any way before pitching? Insufficient oxygen is the most likely reason your yeast took its time to kick off. While you want to avoid O2 like the plague after fermentation, it's crucial to the health of your yeast at the onset of fermentayion. The cheapest methods to oxygenate are letting your wort fall into the fermenter and splash from height and/or shaking the fermenter vigorously for 5 minutes. Keep in mind these methods will give you 3PPM of oxygen if you're lucky - 9-10PPM is consifdered optimal according to Chris White. Also, if you like a cleaner ale, try pitching and fermenting your US05 at 18 next time.

Let us know how this one turns out.

Thanks ABG.
Yep used Whirlloc.. my whirlpooling was a bill all over the place.. I did my hops in a sock hanging in the BM, and had a bit of a brain overload at this point in the brewing i'm (8hrs in at this point). I.e A) to whirlpool with the sock, B) or pull the sock out and whirlpool sacrificing hop infusion or C) leave the sock in for 15m to get the infusion then whirlpool for another 15 BUT at the risk of temp dropping into danger zone before I can hit the plate chiller. So I don't actually remember what transpired. I do know that there was next to nothing left in the BM when the wort was sent to PC and fermenter.
I have a hoprocket to filter with next time (i bought that bundle of NEAL), just waiting on some rice hulls, or to pick up some fresh hops at Ryefield when i'm coastal next week. So that will solve this problem next brew.

Fermenter was filled from a height, and given a red hot shake.

Ideally Yes, I would have pitched at 18, but it's not in a chamber this time round - and it hit the fermenter at 22 out of the PC.. i'll do this better next time also. I Should have put some ice brick under it and waited to pitch. SO many new toys to learn at once!!!

Back