Frozen wort and yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fro-Daddy

Reaction score
Hi there,
I think i made a big mistake by trying to get my wort to a lower temperature in a fridge i hadn't tested. I had a temp probe the fridge but the controller wasn't hooked up, it got to -3°C. The wort was like a slushy and i had a packet of yeast (mangrove jacks m84 bohemian lager) in there as well.
I got the wort up to 12°C and pitched the yeast, but ran out of time and had to head out so never checked the gravity. I checked it today, 3 days later, and its at 1042. I expected it to be lower but this is my first time using a fermenting fridge and my first time using a real lager yeast so I'm not sure what to expect.
Does it sound like it could still be ok? It smelled ok but im skeptical.

Cheers!

Chuck another lot of yeast in. you probably killed most of it in freezing.

I think the yeast would probably be ok considering it was dry yeast. Give it a couple of days and take another reading.

Do you have signs of fermentation?

I haven't seen the airlock bubbling, but there was some positive pressure because the water in the airlock was pushed to one side, if that makes sense.
Is there a possibility of 'over yeasting' if i were to add another packet? Sorry to sound so noob haha.

Edit: if i add more yeast, i assume i cant aerate it just in case it started fermenting a little already?

Last edited:
Just a quick update, the airlock seems to be bubbling now. Took about 4 days for it to start.
Was going to pick up another packet of yeast yesterday arvo but couldn't there before they closed.
After doing some more reading on the M84, it appears many people say it lags at the start, usually 48-72 hours.

Latest posts

Back