First Brew.. Please Tell Me I Didn't Contaminate It!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stick with kits for a bit,move your way through some partial and extract brews then make the plunge into AG, experiment as much as you like. you'll learn more IMO.

That's good to know, as I'm still waiting on my bottles and it looks like I'll have them next Saturday at the earliest! Harder than I would have thought to gather enough, haha! It will have been in the barrel for a month exactly if all goes to plan..

I'm almost tempted to go all grain next.. worth it you think or should I do another kit beer first?
I would definitely do a few more Kit brews first , bloke . That way you can sort some of the basics and not get too disappointed if stuff doesn't quite work to begin with . I'm on the iPhone but I'd also suggest doing a google search for how to brew by John Palmer . Necessary reading for all brewers .
By doing a few kits first , you can also decide if the hobby is for you and if you really want to spend the bucks moving into other methods of brewing ! Good luck though and read as much as you can...and buy a big spoon and a hydrometer if you don't have one..oh an keep records !!
Cheers
Ferg

Seriously, get a longer spoon dude.
I'd stick with kits until you sort out your methods, and get a general feel for it.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've finally got my bottles sorted and am on the home run now, just one more quick question.. the sheet I got from my LHBS (getting down with the lingo!) with instructions said to keep my bottles at 20 to 24 degrees for the first week after bottling and then store in a cool dry place after that. I live in Tasmania and being a student I can't really afford to keep the heater on for a week, so it is going to be no where near that warm (especially at night). Is that really an issue?

Oh, also, my beer seems to have a slight Vegemite after-taste prior to bottling.. I assume this has something to do with yeast? Is that going to taste rubbish in a months time?

I have the same problem with being in Melbourne. I am carbonating my beer in the lounge room. I put the beers in a big plastic container (in case one of them explodes) and at night time once the heater gets turned off I put a blanket over the top to keep them warm over the cold night. Invert the bottles every couple of days to stir the yeast up.

I can't answer you Vegemite question, I have no idea about that one.

Good luck.

carbonation will happen it will just take a lot longer, I opened one that I bottled last month and it still wasn't quite there, patience is the name of the game if you can't keep you bottles warm for the first couple of weeks :icon_cheers:

Autolysis is usually described as tasting Vegemite-y. This is caused be caused by the yeast dying and rupturing (or something) - usually by leaving the brew in primary too long and/or keeping it too warm for extended periods. Looks to me like your brew is nearly at the 6 week mark? I'm sure most people would say this is far too long for primary, especially if (like pretty much all new brewers) the brew has been kept a little too warm.

Bottle it anyway and see if you get used to it (but, uh, drink it rather quick, yeah?). Don't worry, the next one will be better. Good luck with it.

Interesting- I hope it's only a mild case of it then, as it certainly was kept too long as I tried to acquire bottles (I'll get most of them before starting my brew next time!), but definitely not too hot. The first four days I kept the heater on at 22 degrees but after that it just sat in our bathroom, where I never once saw it go above 18 degrees and usually it was a fair bit lower than that.

Looking forward to my next brew! I think I might be brave a try a partial extract, see how it goes. Any suggestions on a recipe? My favourite beer of all time is Coopers Pale, followed by Cascade Pale (which I believe is actually a lager?) followed by James Squire Golden Ale.. but I'm always open to new things also!

Interesting- I hope it's only a mild case of it then, as it certainly was kept too long as I tried to acquire bottles (I'll get most of them before starting my brew next time!), but definitely not too hot. The first four days I kept the heater on at 22 degrees but after that it just sat in our bathroom, where I never once saw it go above 18 degrees and usually it was a fair bit lower than that.

Looking forward to my next brew! I think I might be brave a try a partial extract, see how it goes. Any suggestions on a recipe? My favourite beer of all time is Coopers Pale, followed by Cascade Pale (which I believe is actually a lager?) followed by James Squire Golden Ale.. but I'm always open to new things also!
Mate , i cannot absolutley fault your enthusiasm , but i really think that before you head to spending a fair whack of money ( that as a student you can't probably afford) on buying malt extract ( which can be expensive) , you should do a few more kits. I really think that in the long run , your brewing will be better and you will make better beer. You've made a couple of errors that you need to fix with your next batch.This alone will help you make better beer , but there is still plenty to learn... As suggested 6 weeks in the primary is far too long. You also need to buy a longer spoon , by the sounds of it. You may also need to get some more bottles , as you say.
Can i ask what your cleaning your gear with and are you using any type of sanitiser ?
Do you have a hydrometer ? Do you know how to use it ?
I am not having a go , i'd just like brewing to be the best , positive experience for you , especially after all your work....
If you are absolutley dead set on doing an extract brew , maybe do alot more reading before you set out...
Google John Palmers "how to Brew" It's a fantastic resource and has something in it for all levels of brewers.....
Good luck
Ferg

I think that is probably good advice really.. I tend to get overly-enthused and ahead of myself a lot! I'll source some more bottles and then put on another kit batch, maybe the same one again to see if they taste much different with a little more experience! I didn't really malt extract and the like was much more expensive, obviously a lot more to learn.

In regards to your questions.. I've just been cleaning with hot water and dish-washing detergent. for sanitiser I've been using Sodium Metabisulphate, just filling whatever I'm sanitising up with cold water and letting it sit for two hours with the sanitiser in it. And yes, I do have a hydrometer and I'm pretty sure I'm using it correctly. Just filling the tube 3/4 up with beer and floating the hydrometer in it after a quick spin to see where it sits?

When it does come to cleaning all my gear, I've been having a really hard time getting all of the gunk out of the airlock and tap.. is there a trick to this or does it not really matter to have a little brown still in there when you sanitise (I'm assuming it does matter)?

Thanks for the informative post!

Tried a sample on the 6th of June (only one week after bottling, so I wasn't expecting too much from it). Beer smells good, but tastes a bit watery and hasn't really developed any fizz at all
yet (slight bubbling on the bottom and sides of glass, but not noticeable to drink). No Vegemite after-taste. Little sediment. Quite happy to be honest!

I think that is probably good advice really.. I tend to get overly-enthused and ahead of myself a lot! I'll source some more bottles and then put on another kit batch, maybe the same one again to see if they taste much different with a little more experience! I didn't really malt extract and the like was much more expensive, obviously a lot more to learn.

In regards to your questions.. I've just been cleaning with hot water and dish-washing detergent. for sanitiser I've been using Sodium Metabisulphate, just filling whatever I'm sanitising up with cold water and letting it sit for two hours with the sanitiser in it. And yes, I do have a hydrometer and I'm pretty sure I'm using it correctly. Just filling the tube 3/4 up with beer and floating the hydrometer in it after a quick spin to see where it sits?

When it does come to cleaning all my gear, I've been having a really hard time getting all of the gunk out of the airlock and tap.. is there a trick to this or does it not really matter to have a little brown still in there when you sanitise (I'm assuming it does matter)?

Thanks for the informative post!
Bloke,
I'd ditch the dish washing detergent....it's not a suitable brewery cleaner....
Use some napi-san ( or equivalent ) to do your cleaning and then your soduim met...However i'd go to your LHBS and get some no-rinse sanitiser...
Sounds like your using your hydrometer correctly....
Glad it seems to be working for you....
Glad my advice was useful !
Cheers
Ferg

Napisan and really hot water will clean anything. Need to sanitise afterwards after a good rinse.

Any fragrance free cleaner with sodium percarbonate as an active ingredient will work in place of brand name napisan.

Read this to see how to clean taps: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10484

Airlocks don't cope with superhot water but research using glad wrap as a lid or dispensing with the airlock and wrapping the whole lid in glad to cover.

Latest posts

Back