First Brew - Outcome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not so sure that I'd be using the left over concentrate for my second brew though. I'd get another can and use the whole thing. Better chance of success.

grant

It's obvious you were very keen to get a brew going. I applaud the enthusiasm. Now the equipment is in place you will find things a little easier doing full size batches. With respect to the remaining ingredients from your 4 litre batch, at the very least the concentrate (kit) will have to be boiled. You didn't mention whether used a portion of the yeast or the whole packet - I would use a new packet of yeast rather than one that has been opened.

Welcome to homebrew, onwards and upwards. Who knows, with your enthusiasm, mash brewing may be just around the corner.

I'm not so sure that I'd be using the left over concentrate for my second brew though. I'd get another can and use the whole thing. Better chance of success.

grant

Agreed.

It's obvious you were very keen to get a brew going. I applaud the enthusiasm. Now the equipment is in place you will find things a little easier doing full size batches. With respect to the remaining ingredients from your 4 litre batch, at the very least the concentrate (kit) will have to be boiled. You didn't mention whether used a portion of the yeast or the whole packet - I would use a new packet of yeast rather than one that has been opened.

Welcome to homebrew, onwards and upwards. Who knows, with your enthusiasm, mash brewing may be just around the corner.

Yes I also measured out the yeast and sealed the sachet up with tape. But yeast is relatively cheap so can buy some more.

grant

Is that due to the possibility of miscalculation or because it may not be fresh?

Because wouldn't it be worth just trying it and giving it a go... instead of a chucking out and possibility loosing something that was ok.

It's obvious you were very keen to get a brew going. I applaud the enthusiasm. Now the equipment is in place you will find things a little easier doing full size batches.
Absolutely. Don't let this bad experience stop you from continuing. I had a disastrous first batch that had to be turfed. That was as little over 5 years (and many successful brews) ago.

Yes I also measured out the yeast and sealed the sachet up with tape. But yeast is relatively cheap so can buy some more.
Hmm...it may have also been the case that there was not enough yeast to do the job without struggling.

grant
Is that due to the possibility of miscalculation or because it may not be fresh?

Because wouldn't it be worth just trying it and giving it a go... instead of a chucking out and possibility loosing something that was ok.
I would say yes to both reasons. I would cut your losses here and get a full kit and some dextrose/malt/maltodextrin type of kilo (available from any HBS and as Coopers Brew Enhancers from Coles/Woolies). Though, I would keep the dextrose portion of the kilo less than 500g.

:icon_cheers:
EK

I would say yes to both reasons. I would cut your losses here and get a full kit and some dextrose/malt/maltodextrin type of kilo (available from any HBS and as Coopers Brew Enhancers from Coles/Woolies). Though, I would keep the dextrose portion of the kilo less than 500g.

:icon_cheers:
EK
[/quote]

Yep both times - until your confident about how things should work out stick with the tried and true formulas and quantities. It'll make it easier to workout what happens if something does go amiss. You can also be more confident that you'll ahve something to drink...

grant

Latest posts

Back