First Brew Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neddynoo

Reaction score
Hi All, what a great site . I have a ? .. I have put down my first brew and did nothing special just followed the instructions on the can. It was a tooheys lager kit & i used coopers brew enhancer 2. I put this down 2 weeks ago today and according to the hydrometer it is still 10 points off being ready. Is this ok or should i chuck it out as i was under the impression that 5-7 days was the norm.I am hoping its ok the temp guage says it,s 20 deg and its in a cupboard. Thanks for your time. ps . its still bubbling very slowly.

10 points off beiing finished????

brew enhancer has some ldme so it wont get right down to what the kit instructions say but whats the actual reading?

It might just need racking to another container or a very gentle stir to rouse the yeast if it's not finished

little mor info please

ps welcome to the forum

Hi All, what a great site . I have a ? .. I have put down my first brew and did nothing special just followed the instructions on the can. It was a tooheys lager kit & i used coopers brew enhancer 2. I put this down 2 weeks ago today and according to the hydrometer it is still 10 points off being ready. Is this ok or should i chuck it out as i was under the impression that 5-7 days was the norm.I am hoping its ok the temp guage says it,s 20 deg and its in a cupboard. Thanks for your time. ps . its still bubbling very slowly.

Welcome NeddyNoo

Sounds like you have some pretty normal fermentation going on there. Brewing is about patience, ok? IIRC the Toohey's lager kit yeast is actually an ale yeast so 20C is just fine. Ales brew at 18-20C and Lagers 10-12C rule of thumb.

Well done by using the BE2 that will improve that kit heaps. What was the OG (Original Gravity)? And what is it as now? I am assuming 1020?

Chappo

Edit: Typo! And what that Muckey Character Said

If it's still bubbling, it's still fermenting. You can have false negatives but no false positives.

If it's still bubbling, it's still fermenting. You can have false negatives but no false positives.

I thought release of C02 trapped in solution could cause airlock bubbles.

Let's not endanger any kittens unnecessarily.

I thought release of C02 trapped in solution could cause airlock bubbles.

Let's not endanger any kittens unnecessarily.

correct-a-mundo

chapchap cant help himself - kitten fetish

Wow you guys are quick, the og was 1090 and it is now 1010-1005 range. Thanks so much for your help

Sounds like your OG sample might not have been mixed properly but it looks very ready to bottle to me.

Wow you guys are quick, the og was 1090 and it is now 1010-1005 range. Thanks so much for your help
Yep we don't muck around with our Noobs here at AHB. ;)

Wow 1090 I think that may be a false reading as you can get some of the goop caught in the tap. IIRC the Tooheys was around the 1045-8-ish mark which makes your brew IMO very near done. Take readings over the next 2 days if you get the same readings over consecutive days bottle or keg it.

Cheers

Chappo

I agree
1090 sounds wrong for OG
but 1010 t0 1005 sounds finished

take heed of the previous post - stable readings over 2-3 days says its finished

Chappo's the tooheys man so he's probably on the money about the OG

Neddynoo, just make sure you drink those hydrometer samples. Can't let a good thing go to waste.
:)

Thanks heaps guys, the reading has been the same for the last 3 days so i guess tommorow is bottling day. I was confused about the airlock still bubbling. again thanks for your help and will prob be asking questions again later.

correct-a-mundo

chapchap cant help himself - kitten fetish

Don't touch any kittens. I was sure I read there was no such thing as a false positive - only false negative.

I've eaten my words before and will happily do so again but the kittens must be saved.

To clarify what the experts above have already re: 1090 being high. When you take your sample a bit of the solid goo sometimes comes out of the tap first before the liquid. This causes the high reading.

So when taking a sample, take a small amount first to clear the tap. If you notice any solids, ditch it (or drink it) and then take the sample you will use for the reading. This mainly seems to happen for the first reading you take, hence your later readings are fine.

Cheers Mark

Back