First Brew From A Beginner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir_piggy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Looking for a bit of help with my first brew from those more experienced :rolleyes: .

At the moment I have a fermented batch of Morgans Canadian Blonde (standard yeast, 800g detrose, starting 24d / finishing 30d 1.010 SG, took about 3 or 4 days).

I tried some while I was testing the final SG and the product was a nice golden colour, not as bright as I imagined though, but very cloudy and tasted quite yeasty for an ice beer. My LHBS (who also provided the above 'recipe') told me not to worry about finings as the beer generaly clears pretty well, but this looks like a German wheat beer, and the taste is somewhat off.

I'm planing on bottle conditioning with carbonation drops for simplicity.

Question is, should I add finings to clear things up, or do I need to preserve this for bottle carbonation, and what procedure should I follow from now to enjoy my new bevies :chug:

And any other advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Piggy

...and the taste is somewhat off.

Question is, should I add finings to clear things up, or do I need to preserve this for bottle carbonation, and what procedure should I follow from now to enjoy my new bevies

Welcome to the forums firstly. Nice work on Brew #1.

You noted a reasonably high ferment temp, hence more fusel alcohols which could be why the taste is a little off. Bottling then leaving for a while should help clear this up. There is plenty of yeast in solution to clean up the beer.

Being your first brew, dont bother with finings at all imo, I would also recommend ditching the drops, and simply add 1/2 tsp of sugar for each stubbie, or twice that for a long neck. Or bulk prime it.

Keep a few aside for longer storage, so you can judge how the beer has aged.

Just bottle and the yeast will drop out on it's own.
I was surprised just how clear my first kit was.
Just remember when you pour it, try not to pour the yeast in out of the bottle.

What I tend to do after bottling, let sit for the first 2 weeks to carb up, then taste one.
Try another at 3 weeks and then 4 weeks thats if you haven't just quaffed them down after 2 weeks :D

Hi All,
Looking for a bit of help with my first brew from those more experienced :rolleyes: .

At the moment I have a fermented batch of Morgans Canadian Blonde (standard yeast, 800g detrose, starting 24d / finishing 30d 1.010 SG, took about 3 or 4 days).

I tried some while I was testing the final SG and the product was a nice golden colour, not as bright as I imagined though, but very cloudy and tasted quite yeasty for an ice beer. My LHBS (who also provided the above 'recipe') told me not to worry about finings as the beer generaly clears pretty well, but this looks like a German wheat beer, and the taste is somewhat off.

Question is, should I add finings to clear things up, or do I need to preserve this for bottle carbonation, and what procedure should I follow from now to enjoy my new bevies :chug:

And any other advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Piggy

As suggested by Raven, the 'off' taste might be due to the very high ferment temps. Beer will ferment at higher temps (and ferment quicker) but produce flavours that may be unwelcome. I find that beers that take longer to ferment and are given time to mature after fermentation is finished usually taste much better.

Finings are easy to use but in this case I'd just bottle and get another brew on as soon as you can. Don't expect too much from this one but each brew is a learning process and the next should be an improvement. Try and keep a steady temp between 17 and 22 for an ale (you'll find most of the general range of kits use ale yeasts unless they specify otherwise - even some lager kits use ale yeasts).

Store bottles upright and wait a few weeks and the yeast should settle out. Decant most of the beer into a jug, leaving behind the sediment at the bottom.

Sorry, but...

I tried some while I was testing the final SG and the product was a nice golden colour, not as bright as I imagined though, but very cloudy and tasted quite yeasty for an ice beer.
Ice beer?

I think that's what zeb means. How is a morgans Canadian Blonde kit an ice beer or eisbock unless you freeze distil it?

I think that's what zeb means. How is a morgans Canadian Blonde kit an ice beer or eisbock unless you freeze distil it?
Exactly. Cause if the OP is doing an ice beer for his first brew - MASSIVE respect :)

How long do you plan to leave it in the primary? You've said it took 3 or 4 days to finish fermentation but I'd say if you give it a bit more time in the fermenter it will allow more yeast to drop out of suspension and form a heavier yeast cake.

I generally stick with 1 week in the primary and 2 weeks in secondary. Maybe you could try leaving it 2 weeks in the primary then bottling. Then there's cold-conditioning to help with clarity even more but that's only really if you have access to a fridge for brewing.

If you do want clear beer then I can't see why you wouldn't add finings, if that's what you're after. I used finings in my first brew and it cleared up nicely. I used carbonation drops also and using finings did not affect carbonation at all.

Good luck with the first brew!

Booyablack

Exactly. Cause if the OP is doing an ice beer for his first brew - MASSIVE respect :)

I see now.

It seems like a low flavoured beer with high alcohol. Isn't that just a lager? :ph34r:

I see now.

It seems like a low flavoured beer with high alcohol. Isn't that just a lager? :ph34r:
LOL! I was actually thinking more along the lines of an eisbock then a Hahn Ice or American equivalent...

I accidentally froze a pale ale once. Drew a sample and there was definite alcohol warmth there (no solvents though) and a HEAP of flavour. I let that one melt, but resolved to do an "ice ale" some time in the future. There were also massive protein globs (for want of a better word) floating around in it (that I dutifully removed before bottling). The GlobsTM tasted and looked like tofu (i.e. white and no flavour) and melted down once they started to warm.

I'm going way too far off-topic now. Sorry sir_piggy :) I concur with the others about heat. Put it in the laundry sink with some water and some frozen bottles of water and a wet towel draped over the top, and leave it there for a week or two before bottling.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help with the above, I appreciate the quick responses.

I did only use the term 'ice beer' to be specific with what I wanted acheive as my end result (a relatively flavourless & colourless lager), and don't plan on making a true ice beer. I believe this is quite different to the average lager so I thought I'd make the distinction. But I digress...

Anyways, going on the above advice it seems opinion is to avoid finings, which is advice I am happy to follow, but sheerly to enhance my understanding of the hobby, I have to ask why not? And then would I then be correct in saying that once finished fermenting, the brew should be left for 1-2 weeks in the fermenter to form a good yeast cake, bottled and carbed for 2 weeks and then cold conditioned in the fridge for another 2 weeks? :huh:

Again, all thoughts appreciated.

Piggy

Hi All,

Thanks for your help with the above, I appreciate the quick responses.

I did only use the term 'ice beer' to be specific with what I wanted acheive as my end result (a relatively flavourless & colourless lager), and don't plan on making a true ice beer. I believe this is quite different to the average lager so I thought I'd make the distinction. But I digress...

Anyways, going on the above advice it seems opinion is to avoid finings, which is advice I am happy to follow, but sheerly to enhance my understanding of the hobby, I have to ask why not? And then would I then be correct in saying that once finished fermenting, the brew should be left for 1-2 weeks in the fermenter to form a good yeast cake, bottled and carbed for 2 weeks and then cold conditioned in the fridge for another 2 weeks? :huh:

Again, all thoughts appreciated.

Piggy

Not avoid altogether - just keep it simple for the first few brews and once you have a handle on it, then start introducing new things. Finings are great and you should definitely use them at a point when you are happy you have things under control.

Keep it simple etc etc.

If you do think you want to use finings at this point - simply buy some edible gelatin powder from the supermarket (davis etc). Approximately one teaspoon in some boiled water cooled to about 75 degrees and stirred to dissolve. Cover and let cool to below 50. Chuck in brew and leave for 24 -48 hours.

Latest posts

Back