First brew finally!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys I'm pumped!!! I'm finally getting my very first BIAB recipe ingredients today after work ready to put down on Sunday!!!!!!! I've already posted the recipe before but here's what I'm doing
4kg pale malt
500g Munich
250g crystal 50

Mash at 65 degrees for 90 min
10g warrior @ 60 min
30g cascade @ 30 min
30g centennial @ flameout
Bry 97 yeast

Dry hop 10g of each after day 7 fermentation
Any thoughts? I'm ridiculously excited!!!!! Just quickly also I've got a 30 litre boiler so how much water do I put in to mash? Any rough ideas how much I'll lose in the boil?

You'll love the beer mate, it will be the best beer you've tasted unless something goes catastrophically wrong.

I brewed something very similar for my first all grain, missed all my targets, didn't even hit volume, it was still great (or at least it was at the time).

Enjoy the process and take notes throughout the day so you can see what changes you need to make in future.

I'll leave the technical answers for those with more BIAB know how.

Have you run it through any software. www.brewmate.net is free and will provide you with approximate answers to your questions. You'll have to adjust the figures once you have tested your system.

Recipe looks goo but why the 30 min addition. You won't get much out of it at that time. I would be looking to move it to 10 or 5 mins.

What size batch are you making?

You'll prob loose 5L an hour. There is a page that can work it out. Good luck.

Re: Evaporation, it really depends on how vigorous you boil is, dimensions of your kettle, etc.
Just use your maiden brew to calculate this and adjust future water/ingredient amounts accordingly.
Since it's a 30L vessel I would fill it to the brim (allowing for grain)

Good luck!

What final volume are you looking for? ie 20lt 23lt that can determine how much water you need to start with however as your urns 30lt I'ld imagine your mash water volume couldn't be more than 20-23 lt max without it over flowing I'ld also move the 30min to @10. Remember if you only end up with 15lt say after boil you'll have "concentrated beer" so you can always add water to achieve required final volume. Good luck mate enjoy the journey

Thanks guys for your replies !! My LHBS where I got everything from including the boiler said it's a 30 litre boiler but holds 32 litres. Told me to fill to 27 litres for the mash and should end up with around 22 litres. It's his own recipe he's done countless times. So you all reckon the 30 mins addition no good??? Do I do both hops at 10 mins??? Or just one??

Mate it's all bout personal tastes but IMHO i haven't got much out off @30 additions they add a few ibu's but start loosing the taste/aroma I like in my beers. Also if you end up with 22lt of wort after mash as lhbs informed you after a 60 min boil you'll only have appox 17-18 lt depending on how vigorous your boil is

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401446396.975176.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401446396.975176.jpg my grains!!!!! All ready!

Latest posts

Back