First Biab With Urn Done And Dusted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeaker

Reaction score
Just put my first BIAB down with a new Ross trusty CROWN, Not sure what all the fuss is about with not achieving a rolling Boil with these urns
I set mine to 104 and achieved it very well, although the sleeping bag does improve things helps it hold the heat, but I romoved
it and it was still holding the boil fine, I did nearly (still hope it will be fine) have a disaster, on Flameout (URN OUT) I added my last hop
addition and the peg that was holding the hop bag poped up into the brew I was freaking out as it was plastic thinking it wld melt and destroy the
lot I tried too scoop it but it was impossible to find, I quickly say 5 minutes racked it to the chilling container and scooped it out once visable
the peg was not melted so I hope its ok........ was a bright ale if it taste anything like it did when I tried it after I keg it then my K&K days
are done, it take me most of the day ... but I shld improve that as i was watching it the whole way :icon_cheers:

I have one question after the 60min mash in was told to raise the temp to 75deg for 10 min do i do this with the grain bag drained
or still in the urn ?

You do it with the grain still in your urn. You do this because the sugar you have just extracted from the grain is less sticky when it is hotter so it will drain out of the grain better and hopefully improving your efficiency.

Sounds like you have a good day... I would not worry about the peg i don't think it will hurt your brew...

+1 Punkal
Nice work. I don't have an urn (pot and gas burner) but I heat up the grain after the mash (bag in pot) to 78C for mashout. Stirring the whole time as it gets to 78C. Then pull the bag. Works for me....
cheers
BBB

Latest posts

Back