First Biab In My 40lt Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic but how do you attach the mini mill to your bench and does it need to be modded to run off a drill, or does the chuck grab onto it ok?

Bribie,

the only thing to really consider with that mill, is that the shaft is half inch drive, so you'll need a drill or motor with a 13mm chuck. Most drills are 10mm chucks.

Awesome mill too by the way, i own one and am very happy with it.

I run it off of an Ozito Spade Handle Drill. Does a brilliant job.

Off topic but how do you attach the mini mill to your bench and does it need to be modded to run off a drill, or does the chuck grab onto it ok?

I have this set-up, using the spade-end drill,more torque than is necessary but you need the chuck holding capacity....13mm.
Attached the whole thing to a base board which locates over a bucket to catch the milled grain,stores away when not in use. The hopper is a water container I got from Office Works, sawed off the bottom,
locate the neck into a hole in the MDF.

2012_04_24_09.53.41.jpg

Nala, you are a machine in your own right.

I'll have to get my junior carpentry set out - hope to upgrade from my Marga in about a month.

Cheers

Sorry to OP for OT...

Bribie - I am just going to use a drill for a while until I get myself the Motion Dynamics Motor a rod and coupling and modify a 12v server power supply, but am also debating whether the extra $30 for a speed controller is worth it as you can get just the motor here for $30 less which I am more likely to do. I have been researching for a long time now for a good mill and this is what I have come up with. However, a good alternate motor is the same as QldKev uses but both options you are not stuffing around with gearing etc and are not so cumbersome.

I have mine mounted to piece of ply & crank by hand, it's not too bad but the drill would be awesome.

017.jpg

I have a hole cut in the baseboard that fits my bucket snugly so it doesn't move or try to make it's way off the bucket.

019.jpg

:icon_offtopic: I'm no mechanic, I can do a bit of simple carpentry at that's about it. When I had a 3cyl Daihatsu Charade I always bought four spark plugs because I knew I was going to crunch one of them and also kept a pack of band aids handy for my inevitable skinned knuckles. On that note, what are spade end drills?

I'm think of going down this route and getting a Crown 40l from Craftbrewer.
All the Non/Concealed element with build up and cut outs. I'm getting a sore arse from sitting on the fence.
Single batches suit my needs.

I did just that mate, very happy with my decision. I have an exposed element & bought a v-shaped roasting rack off Robin's kitchen ( $16.00 ) to keep the bag off the element & it works very well. I have heard a few people complain about the concealed element cutting out & decided to go for the exposed.

024.jpg

That's exactly the same rack I got from Robins as well. I keep a length of brickies twine attached so I can fish it out before the boil.

I have the same one also.. I fish it out with my paint stirrer..
God help you if you wedge the legs under the element like I did one time trying to get it out.
I was just about resigned to leaving it in there for the boil when I somehow magically unhooked it.

I'm think of going down this route and getting a Crown 40l from Craftbrewer.
All the Non/Concealed element with build up and cut outs. I'm getting a sore arse from sitting on the fence.
Single batches suit my needs.

I have the concealed element and I have never had an issue with a cut out. The boil is a gentle roll rather than an agressive one, but it still achieves 10% evaporation. As long as the boil is rolling it is fine. You don't get any hellman points for boiling harder. Any build up on the element cover is easy to clean up as well.

With the concealed element I believe that lagging with a camping mat etc gives a reasonable boil, Mark^******* was using that method and no complaints.

I did just that mate, very happy with my decision. I have an exposed element & bought a v-shaped roasting rack off Robin's kitchen ( $16.00 ) to keep the bag off the element & it works very well. I have heard a few people complain about the concealed element cutting out & decided to go for the exposed.

024.jpg

If anyone is looking to get one of these roasting racks from Ronins kitchen, I don't think they can be found on their website. I contacted the store where I purchased mine & this is them.

Curved roasting rack
Brand: D.Line
Item code no: 105935
$16.99
Call: 1800307717 to order over the phone.
Cheers

Pitched a Wyeast 1056 liquid yeast late yesterday & woke up to the sweet sound of a bubbling airlock this morning.
Fermenting away nicely.
I direct pitched this time instead of the usual starter.
Cheers

:icon_offtopic: I'm no mechanic, I can do a bit of simple carpentry at that's about it. When I had a 3cyl Daihatsu Charade I always bought four spark plugs because I knew I was going to crunch one of them and also kept a pack of band aids handy for my inevitable skinned knuckles. On that note, what are spade end drills?

Bribie, i think spade handle drills are designed for mixing concrete. Id believe it judging by how much torque those ozitos have.

I am under the impression they are a proper steel gearbox too. Could be wrong though.

Bloody thing sounds like a turbine when it starts up!

I have this set-up, using the spade-end drill,more torque than is necessary but you need the chuck holding capacity....13mm.
Attached the whole thing to a base board which locates over a bucket to catch the milled grain,stores away when not in use. The hopper is a water container I got from Office Works, sawed off the bottom,
locate the neck into a hole in the MDF.

View attachment 55173

Is this the drill you guys are running on your MashMaster MiniMills?
I am looking at getting one & want to be certain it's the right one.

here

or what model number is it?
Cheers

Thats the one I use.
Awesome drill, great price.
Also does a great job as a screwdriver - for really big screws.
More torque than my wife's Honda. :)

honda_50.jpg

Wow

Well we've derailed Crusty's thread anyway so why not. The thing I spot about that drill is the keyed chuck :)
The current cheap Ozito I run the Marga on is keyless and is a PITA, on tightening it up I've taken to wrapping packing tape around the chuck so it won't slip.

Latest posts

Back