First BIAB brew...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 20 lt water for the mash... Ohh well I guess I learned that lesson the hard way... I think to be safe I will ditch it and start from scratch ... Complete rookie error that I didn't know I had to boil after the initial 60 minute cook ... Guess I need to do some more reading as well ... Thanks all for the feedback and advice :)

Very basically - the mash is to activate enzymes within the cracked grain. The enzymes convert the starch in the grain to sugar. That's why mash temp is important.

Once mashed, we boil the resulting liquid. This sterilises the wort (grain contains microbes), develops colour and flavour, concentrates the liquid and drives off unwanted compounds. It also allows insoluble compounds within hops to dissolve into the liquid so the sweetness of the barley sugar water is counteracted with hop bitterness.

manticle said:
It's had yeast pitched in it. Boiled yeast plus boiling off a proportion of ethanol...
I'd certainly taste it but if it was no good, I'd ditch, learn and move on.
Boiled yeast as a source of nutrient for the fresh pitched yeast maybe?

Jogo
I see you are in Canberra, as some pointed out put out some feelers for other brewers, and there are heaps in Canberra Best thing (warning ADV)..is to join Canberra Brewers (www.canberrabrewers.com.au), some of Australia's best brewers are in the club as well as a whole lot of guys and girls who just want to learn.... Feel Free to contact me if you like.
Kurtz

dr K said:
Jogo
I see you are in Canberra, as some pointed out put out some feelers for other brewers, and there are heaps in Canberra Best thing (warning ADV)..is to join Canberra Brewers (www.canberrabrewers.com.au), some of Australia's best brewers are in the club as well as a whole lot of guys and girls who just want to learn.... Feel Free to contact me if you like.
Kurtz
As Kurtz said. Join the canberra brewers club. I learnt so much in the first visit. Great bunch of blokes and everyone wants to help :). The next meetup is in February and is free for the first time. You will want to join tho like I did :)

Latest posts

Back