First BIAB brew...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jogo

Reaction score
I recently made my first BIAB brew and I am looking forward to sampling in a few weeks.

Have to dry hop tomorrow and bottle on Thursday...

I wanted to share my method and see if I could get some good tips and feedback for next time. I watched so many videos and read a variety of different blogs and forums on how to and decided best way to learn is to do! so see how we go...

Recipie: American Pale Ale
4kg Cracked Ale Malt (voyager veloria buloke)
200g carapils
200g pale crystal malt
80g American Amarillo hops (pellet form)
Yeast 11g American Ale Yeast

Method:
• 60 minute boil. - reached 70*c
•All fermentables into bag and 20g hops ( maintain 65*c as best as possible... It did get to 70 a couple of times but 95% of boil at 65*c)
• 20grams hops added after 40 minutes
• 20grams hops added after 60 minutes
• remove bag and hang to catch all the extra goodness
• submerged wort into ice bath
• cooled wort to 27*c in 5 minutes
• added to fermenter with extra goodies from bag
• topped up fermenter to 23ltr mark
• pitched yeast at 26*c

And now it's in my dead fridge at about 18*c to 22*c waiting to dry hop tomorrow and bottling on Thursday...

FG should be 1010 from the app I used and IBU 35ish ... so fingers crossed I have done an ok job...

Will keep posted once bottled and sampled!

Any advise or tips is really appreciated as this is only my third ever batch of home brew and first ever all grain BIAB!

Cheers

Did you 'mash' for 60min @ 65-70oC. And then 'boil' for 60min @ 100oC ?

The hops is added during the 'boil'

Beercus

I just mashed.... Didn't boil for 60min... Shit... What do you think will happen?

You will have very little hop extraction and you wort will not have been sterilised. Real good chance of an infection.

So pretty much I should ditch it and start again? Oh well I guess I won't do that again...

At least I still have some hops left... Besides that massive rookie error... Does the recipe and method sound ok? Except to add the hops in at BOIL... Hahaha oh well all I can do is laugh it off and go get more grain...

65-70oC for 1 hour is going to kill most bacteria but the enzymes will be active in fermentation .

Out of curiosity does anyone know what this would wind up like (assuming no infection and only enzymes and yeast active in there).
There are plenty of milk, coconut, flour etc based fermented, low alcohol drinks around the world that aren't boiled.
Seeing as it's happened could be worth letting it roll and see what you get. May wind up with something that tastes well..... Interesting.

A good example of why the oft touted advice to skip partials and extracts and just jump straight in at the deep end is not always sage.
Bad luck jogo - read up about WHY you do what you do as well as how and your brewing and beer will improve markedly.

It's all easy enough but understanding the principles is paramount. Best of luck with the next.

Call it DMS Ale. Will be a good example to see how DMS affects a beer, because I can't honestly say I know what it tastes like (apart from descriptions, which don't always match how they're actually perceived) Pick what's 'not right' about and then you'll know what to look for in future brews.

I've had one batch with DMS, it most definitely tastes and smells just like creamed corn. You can't miss it.

DMS, lactic, lack of melanoidens, lack of hop utilisation/alpha acid isomerisation - there's a host of reasons why we boil, even if people are finding shorter boils are providing good results recently.

How much water did you use if the mash is thick its hard to measure the temperature .

Considering there was no boil. Did you end up with a heap more volume than expected?

Does anyone have an opinion on bringing it to the boil now and going for a dry hop?

although the process is bloody easy once you know it (well sort of).

I would strongly suggest that you put the feelers out for a brew club or individual brewer in your area and do a brew with them. AHB is full of people absolutely willing to give advice or share a brew day. Once you see the process, it is easier to then move ahead.

I'm about 30 biab's in and still consider myself an absolute rookie, but I'm working on that.

AHB or should I say the people that use it.. is an AMAZING resource.

Good luck and don't get too upset at stuffing up a batch, I don't think there would be a person on this forum that hasn't "fed the lawn" with a batch or two in their time.

It's had yeast pitched in it. Boiled yeast plus boiling off a proportion of ethanol...

I'd certainly taste it but if it was no good, I'd ditch, learn and move on.

Latest posts

Back