First Biab- American Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
I'll keep it simple.

4.0kg Ale or Pilsner Malt
0.3kg Raw Sugar
0.3kg Caraaroma\Special B

10g @ 60 Galaxy
10g @ 30 Galaxy
10g @ 15 Galaxy

US-05

I think 300g of Caraaroma could be too cloying though (never used it before).

An amber should be full bodied, sweet, and caramelly. Drop the raw sugar altogether as that will thin it out a bit. Substitute 300g of a low-moderate coloured crystal instead. I'd personally leave the caraaroma/special B, but I love the stuff. The lighter crystal will round out the flavour and offset/balance the special B.

Other than that, the recipe looks pretty good.

Thanks newsguy.

The sugar I'll hold back on- I guess I'll use it in case effeicency goes out the window.

I think
0.3kg Light Crystal\CaraMunich I
0.1kg Caraaroma

should do it.

You're still not going to get anywhere near Amber. I would go for 200g dark Crystal Malt and 300g Carared for nice colour and luscious caramel maltiness. I entered an Amber in a mini comp and even that was judged too light for guidelines.

Personally I would up the base malt to 5kg as well, BIAB can handle that ok. How big's your vessel?

I'll post a picture this afternoon at beer o'clock. Too early ATM and SWMBO is right onto me at the moment.
Off to clean the ensuite now, cya later

Also a small addition of some choc or pale choc malt for colour as well will help.

BB

Hmm I'm not sure I want to go too heavy something sessionable but I've changed the recipe:

4.0kg Ale or Pilsner Malt
.15kg Caraaroma\Special B
.25kg Carared
0.1kg Chocolate Malt

12g @ 60 Galaxy
10g @ 30 Galaxy
10g @ 15 Galaxy

US-05

Back