First Biab Ag Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Time's come for me to give some serious thought to my first BIAB AG recipe. Kettle's not finished quite yet, but will probably be in the next week or two.

I want to do an AIPA, and I've played around with Brewmate a fair bit over the past couple of weeks, and came up with this, based on what I have at hand, and have been able to bludge off other people.

Bongin Bongin IPA #1 (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 15.0 (EBC): 29.6
Bitterness (IBU): 57.7 (Average)

82.76% Pale Malt
8.28% Crystal 60
8.28% Vienna
0.69% Black Malt

0.7 g/L Super Alpha (12% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Pacific Gem (13.7% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L D Saaz (5.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.7 g/L D Saaz (5.4% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

How does that sound?

I have 8 kilos of Pale Malt, 1 each of Black, Crystal 60 and Vienna, 60g each Super Alpha and Nelson Sauvin, 90g of Riwaka (which I think is D Saaz) and 30 g of Pacific Gem, and I'd like to use up what I have! The "Brew Nazi" mode seems to think it's in spec, and balance, although it'll be a pretty dark AIPA! I'm just a little concerned my hop bill is a little all over the shop.

If I can find a fridge, I'll ferment it in there at 19(?) for a week, then rack it, dry hop and leave it for another 2 at whatever temperature is advised, if I can't get a fridge, it'll be 1 week in the fermenter on the floor in the spare room (probably around 18 overnight, 21 during the day), dry hop, then another week or so before bottling.

Any friendly advice, criticisims or constructive abuse is welcome!

Cheers!

Great handle. Chilling or no chilling, fat *******?
Cheers
BBB

Got a plate chiller on the way! Thought about various homebuilt immersion and counterflow chillers and then decided to fork out. Enough dramas on my hands trying to build the kettle!

The recipe looks good. One thing I would suggest is to simplify your hops. A mash at 66 and fermenting with US-05 should make your beer dryer than you might think. A BU rating of 57.7 ( Tinseth or rager?) is a lot and pacific gem can be a little on the harsh side with bitterness but an awesome flavour if you can bring it out. Im not sure what brewmate will say but can i suggest a hop schedule of super alpha, nelson @60, pacific gem, nelson, d saaz at 5 and keep ur dry hop.

+ If you hit ur temps ull drop below 1017 as an fg

Happy brewing, Cheers

Got a plate chiller on the way! Thought about various homebuilt immersion and counterflow chillers and then decided to fork out. Enough dramas on my hands trying to build the kettle!

Are you using the no chill button in brewmate? It is very useful and to my taste, pretty spot on.
Cheers
BBB

First BIAB and youre going for an almost 7% beer ? I like your brashness ! Please report back on your efficiency results. Actually, what did you calculate the % as being?

You may wish top ramp up the temp in the last 10 minutes to 70c, that appears to add a couple more extraction points to the results.

Bada Bing, there's a no-chill button in Brewmate ? Clever buggers. Might have to look into that.

The recipe looks good. One thing I would suggest is to simplify your hops. A mash at 66 and fermenting with US-05 should make your beer dryer than you might think. A BU rating of 57.7 ( Tinseth or rager?) is a lot and pacific gem can be a little on the harsh side with bitterness but an awesome flavour if you can bring it out. Im not sure what brewmate will say but can i suggest a hop schedule of super alpha, nelson @60, pacific gem, nelson, d saaz at 5 and keep ur dry hop.

+ If you hit ur temps ull drop below 1017 as an fg

Happy brewing, Cheers

New one with simplified hop bill, IBU's calculated using the "Average" setting on Brewmate, I've tried to keep the IBU's around 60 and use less Pacific Gem than NS or D Saaz.

Bongin Bongin IPA #1a (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 15.0 (EBC): 29.6
Bitterness (IBU): 60.3 (Average)

82.76% Pale Malt
8.28% Crystal 60
8.28% Vienna
0.69% Black Malt

1.5 g/L Super Alpha (12% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L D Saaz (5.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Pacific Gem (13.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.7 g/L D Saaz (5.4% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

First BIAB and youre going for an almost 7% beer ? I like your brashness ! Please report back on your efficiency results. Actually, what did you calculate the % as being?

You may wish top ramp up the temp in the last 10 minutes to 70c, that appears to add a couple more extraction points to the results.

Bada Bing, there's a no-chill button in Brewmate ? Clever buggers. Might have to look into that.

According to the online calculator thing-o I've just googled, 73%. I have no idea if I'll get anywhere near this though. Didn't know I wasn't supposed to be brewing beers I like for a first attempt, might as well go in boots and all I suppose!

Should I drop the volume of water in the kettle and sparge in 5 litres in another pot? That should get some more out of it yeah?

I didn't know there was a no-chill btton either. The plate chiller should have arrived by then though. I never really considered no-chill.

Looks good. Ran your recipe through beersmith and got pretty much the same numbers. When I used to BIAB I gave my bag a squeeze then rinsed with a jug of hot water then gave another squeeze. Just dont go crazy or you might extract some tannic flavourds you dont want. Happy brewing!

Cheers

BIAB_recipe.jpg

Looks good. Ran your recipe through beersmith and got pretty much the same numbers. When I used to BIAB I gave my bag a squeeze then rinsed with a jug of hot water then gave another squeeze. Just dont go crazy or you might extract some tannic flavourds you dont want. Happy brewing!

Cheers

Cheers megs.

What I might do is drain off a few litres of water out of the kettle at strike temperature into a small round esky (that's no good for a mash tun... no drain hole) and lag it and use it for sparge water later on. I might feel a bit safer doing this as my kettle is only 36 litres, Brewmate reckons I'll need 30 odd litres and if you add close to 7.5 kilos of grain... Possible disaster! BM calculates that the volume at the end of mashing should be around 26 litres, which should be ok for a boil in that vessel.

I've got a couple of weeks to think about it, the guy that's making my element can't get it to me before next Thrsday at the soonest. The mashmaster chiller arrived today and I was hoping to get underway this weekend. Oh well, more time to source a fridge!

Back