First All Grain. Tastes And Smells.... Yeasty?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alotsa

Reaction score
Not only is this my first all grain but my first brew ever.

I brewed the oak brown ale from palmer's book, and used the brew in a bag method.

Over all it is quite tasty, however it has a strong yeasty smell, it doesn't seem to affect the taste that much because i can separate the malt taste and the yeasty smell/taste from each other when I'm drinking it, but smell is, as we all know, very important to taste.

it smells exactly like the smell of the co2 that was coming from the fermentors airlock. Im actully only assuming this is a yeasty smell.

Any thoughts of what might have gone wrong?

Is it similar to Vegimite at all?

What temp was your fermenter sitting at during fermentation?

being a poor brewer myself i dont have temp controls
and find that just about every brew i do above 24-25 degrees ends up rather yeasty/vegimitey

it tends to start mellowing around the 6 week mark if your not the sort of person to want to ever throw beer away but never really goes away

Not only is this my first all grain but my first brew ever.

I brewed the oak brown ale from palmer's book, and used the brew in a bag method.

Over all it is quite tasty, however it has a strong yeasty smell, it doesn't seem to affect the taste that much because i can separate the malt taste and the yeasty smell/taste from each other when I'm drinking it, but smell is, as we all know, very important to taste.

it smells exactly like the smell of the co2 that was coming from the fermentors airlock. Im actully only assuming this is a yeasty smell.

Any thoughts of what might have gone wrong?

Supplying the fermentation details would help - OG, FG, yeast strain, fermentation temp and length, did you rack it off the yeast, how long has it been in the bottle.

Screwy

Back