First all grain milk stout. Hows the recipe look?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have thrown a few brews down and after a few carbonation problems and other small problems, I have nailed a pale ale and am very stoked.

Thought i would jump to a stout as the range of stouts at the bottlo is minimal and i can never find many milk stouts.

browsed through a few recipes and thrown this together. It is quite a light stout but they had no black patent at the brewshop.

Any thoughts? was going to add some vanilla in there as well probably

Ingredients

4.00 kg
Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM)73.4 %
0.30 kg
Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (381.0 SRM)5.5 %
0.30 kg
Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM)5.5 %
0.25 kg
Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM)4.6 %
0.25 kg
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)4.6 %
0.35 kg
Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)6.4 %
48.00 g
Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
24.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg
SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml]
Yeast

wide eyed and legless said:
Not much lactose in there, a lot of milk stouts generally have about 400 gram, where did you get the recipe?
I did take a lot from the thirsty crow vanilla milk stout and they only said 9 percent lactose, maybe because of the vanilla. but i have changed a few other things, added some oats and things. might be best to bump up the lactose a bit too

Not much lactose in there, a lot of milk stouts generally have about 400 gram, where did you get the recipe?

He's got 350g in his recipe, I'd say that's close enough.

Formatting initially made me think lactose was 48g so that might be where Legless' head was at.

I use 500g in mine but I think anything over 250 would have a noticeable effect in 20 -25 L.

Personally I'd be adding some roast Barley and pushing to find Black from somewhere but that's as much personal taste as anything.

manticle said:
Formatting initially made me think lactose was 48g so that might be where Legless' head was at.

I use 500g in mine but I think anything over 250 would have a noticeable effect in 20 -25 L.

Personally I'd be adding some roast Barley and pushing to find Black from somewhere but that's as much personal taste as anything.
I might stick with the 350 then. Will I be lacking some of the roasty flavours by not having black patent? I probably wont be able to get any black by brew day but where do I get roasted barley?

The roasted barley shop?

;)

Any decent HBS should have some, profile doesn't let on where you are so hard to note a local supply for you mate.

If you havent already, I'd suggest you try a beer containing lactose. You may like it, but personally I thought it was pus.
Would not use again.

Yob said:
The roasted barley shop?

;)

Any decent HBS should have some, profile doesn't let on where you are so hard to note a local supply for you mate.
Haha of course my local roasted barley shop, Ill head to brewers choice on the way home tomorrow and grab a bit. Just add 300g to the recipe?

Dave70 said:
If you havent already, I'd suggest you try a beer containing lactose. You may like it, but personally I thought it was pus.
Would not use again.
I have tried a killer milk stout in Bristol UK last year and have yet to try and milk stout since because of the lack of places to buy them and there probably isnt too many out there.

If you have any Italian supermarkets nearby, you can also buy a coffee substitute called orzo which is roast barley. otherwise order online from craftbrewer or grain and grape or another retailer that posts quickly.

I did a choc stout last month, 1/2 cup (didn't have scales at the time, but I estimate around 50g) lactose and a dribble of vanilla essence in a 12 lt batch.
It's a pinch too sweet, and that's well under half what you have.

Definitely err on the side of caution. If you're kegging you can afford to.

Hey guys, I've got a milk stout finishing up fermenting in a few days, should i cold crash this beer to remove the bulk of yeast? Should I use any fining agents like polyclar or gelatin?

Back