First All-grain: Biab In An Urn With No Chill. So Bloody Aussie!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
TEST RUN: Did a dry run the other day, and that's where you realise things like the colander covering the urn element doesn't distribute the heat efficiently so decided i want to pull it out during the boil, and need a way to lift it out. Also that the supplier missed one of my malts, so i had to wait another day for it to arrive.

URN VOLUME: Measured urn & using V=(Pi X R2)xH... realised that for a birko 40 litre urn, every 10mm depth is for practical purposes a litre. Too easy. Created a measuring stick, but will put the marks on the sight glass later.

IODOPHOR: Need a precise dose, because higher doses need rinsing which completely defeats the purpose of sterilising. Yet i only wanted a litre. So on wife's suggestion bought a 43cent syringe at the chemist. Perfect dose.
P1146435small.jpg
Grain measured up. Damn sight more volume than i expected!

STRIKE TEMP: 71C aiming for 68. Hit 67.5. Probably a little slow taking photos? But held the temperature for the hour. My iPod died in the middle of it. Bugger.

P1146437small.jpg
In she goes... mash stick turned from christmas tree. Spruce used to be added to beer before hops, so might add some flavour.

DEMONS APPLY THEMSELVES WHERE YOU DIDN'T: didn't really think through the pulley system for my bag. It failed and i had to jury rig.
P1146441small.jpg
Hanging the bride. I haven't got round to sewing the bag. Just tied a knot and hoisted it.
A POOR WORKMAN BLAMES HIS EQUIPMENT: @#%# equipment. But interesting to note that if you put nearly boiling wort into a cheap plastic hydrometer testing tube it melts and distorts and the bottom falls out and you lose the wort. Because of this poor equipment that i'm blaming i've decided to cool it before testing it next time.

NEVER TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THE BOIL: unless you have a birko urn, that boils so consistently that you can watch the cricket inside and have a beer and it will still boil consistently.

IF I RULED THE WORLD: a tablet is just right for a standard 23 litre batch. So the tablets are made exactly the right size for a 46 litre batch, because... why not make the tablets half the size so we don't have to cut them in half?

VOLUMES: perfect volume for boil, after boil, into cube... Just as the birko stopped flowing there was pretty much only 2.5 litres of trub left. Perfect.
P1146445small.jpg
Birko stopped right on the level of the trub,.
P1146448small.jpg
Where do you want it. The dead grain
IPOD HEART SURGERY: Discovered there is a reset option and it lives, it lives!

A million thanks for the inspiration, encouragement and advice that i've had on this site. I wouldn't have realised how brilliant and achievable all-grain brewing is without the willingness of people here to help out.

Sounds like it went pretty well! You've covered most of the things I learnt first time I did an AG brew (although I don't BIAB but I do use an urn as a kettle).

Only thing is, get yourself a refractometer! My hydrometer tube is all warped as well after filling it with near boiling wort.

looks like you had fun. I cant wait till I am up to this point looks like it would be fun

Mate, well done. Dry run was a good idea. My first AG was a BIAS too ( Brew In A Sheet) nothing wrong with that at all. I found stirring the mash a little hard. But apart from that just as easy. Sewing it up does make things a little more simpler though.

Well done again. If it it turns out anything like my first AG you'll be blown away by the results.

Good shit mate.
AG is the only way to go...
Isn't it funny. With my first AG I under estimated how much space 2-3kg of grain took up and I too crushed it, weighed it out and was looking for all sorts of containers to put it in.
LOVE the frying pan though, onya!!! :icon_cheers:

PS...how GOOD is the smell of freshly crused grain.....yummo.

Latest posts

Back