First Ag ........ Smooth As ( Nearly )

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
Chose the obligatory good Dr S' Golden Ale to start my adventure with. Had a few teething problems, but nothing that couldn't be sorted pretty quickly, thanks to many hours scouring this site. Pics as follows:
BB false bottom, I decided not to muck around after pricing the copper tee's and elbows locally.
DSC_0583.jpg

Basic mash tun set-up
DSC_0587.jpg

Mash in
DSC_0592.jpg

First runnings into fermentor to make sure of volume
DSC_0612.jpg

Spent grist. Was much finer than I had expected , and contributed to a stuck first sparge
DSC_0615.jpg

Boil with 4800 watts up its clacker. Gas prices are prohibitive in this town. Shown is very rough first attempt at a immersion chiller. 3/4 copper is awkward to bend.....
DSC_0616.jpg

Chillin'. Well sort of. Winter tap water temps are still 26 deg C.
DSC_0620.jpg

Wort out.
DSC_0621.jpg

Whirlpool did not work. Note to self : remove chiller before attempting next time.
DSC_0622.jpg

The process took a bit longer than I thought, but I'm confident I can shave off a fair bit as I get to know my equipments capabilities.

Thanks to all on this site for sharing hard won knowledge.

Regards

Good on ya matey. love the pics...

make sure you let us know how it tastes :)

Grats mate!!

Wait till ya taste it!

I am sure, MrT, he won't be able to help himself.... :lol:

BTW: Do you run the 2 Immersion heaters off the one power point?

Grats mate!!

Wait till ya taste it!

I am sure, MrT, he won't be able to help himself.... :lol:

BTW: Do you run the 2 Immersion heaters off the one power point?

Double 15 amp GPO, does the trick, Cocko.

Regards

Had another crack today, this time a Raspberry Wheat based on an extract recipe that was a great success. Knocked a fair bit of time off my first attempt, but still hit my numbers. Chilling the wort is still very time consuming due to the ambient water temp. . I'll investigate an ice water setup using a bilge pump to circulate, or go no-chill, not sure yet. Thanks for the replies.

Regards

Congratulations. Mine (today) would have been great if I hadn't thrown 8 Litres of wort all over my backyard.

Nonetheless it's a big load of fun.

Latest posts

Back