First Ag Setup..got A Few Questions..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh I think I'll just make the trek to Grain and Grape - coming from northcote in my car will probably cost the same as shipping :)

In regards to doing smaller batches in my larger pot, will it work if I perhaps lower my expected efficiency in BeerSmith, so it can at least try and compensate for my extra boil off?

Cheers.

Gday Maldridge,

I ran in my new AG setup with a 70L SS pots from CraftBrewer on the weekend and did two single batches. I lost around 9L on the boil. Trying a double batch on Wednesday, I'll let you know what the boil off rate is for a double.

This is my setup: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry944109

Cheers.

If you'r ein melbourne, you can always go to Geordi for your SS...

Yeh I think I'll just make the trek to Grain and Grape - coming from northcote in my car will probably cost the same as shipping :)

In regards to doing smaller batches in my larger pot, will it work if I perhaps lower my expected efficiency in BeerSmith, so it can at least try and compensate for my extra boil off?

Cheers.

Grain and grape postage and courier prices within VIC are very reasonable. Got 25 kg of grain and sundries delivered recently for under $15.

Still - going to the shop means you can see what you want, handle it and ask funny questions about it. Good shop to visit.

As for extra boil-off - I could be wrong but I'd just be inclined to work the recipe out based on what you need to account for system losses to hit the gravity, volume and IBU you want. I don't use beersmith but that's (vaguely) what I do. I don't stress massively about efficiency though as I know my system and processes and get enough consistency for my liking.

Gday Maldridge,

I ran in my new AG setup with a 70L SS pots from CraftBrewer on the weekend and did two single batches. I lost around 9L on the boil. Trying a double batch on Wednesday, I'll let you know what the boil off rate is for a double.

This is my setup: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry944109

Cheers.

That's great! Thanks for the link. And thanks for that info. In BeerSmith I have setup my equipment to list a 70L pot. This actually, from what I can tell, automatically assumes there will be 10L lost during the boil when aiming for a 25L batch size. Glad it is the same for you!

Sorry practicalfool, who/what is Geordi?

Cheers.

Well, paid a visit to Grain and Grape today. Purchased all the gear I needed to attach my ball valves to my kettle and mashtun pots, as well as a nice dial thermometer. Also picked up a 30L fermenter for $24. Pretty good price if you ask me. Already had a spare airlock and tap. SHIT I just remembered I needed a thermometer hah. I can get that another time.

Put it all together today, tested for leaks, all seems ok! Can't wait to get into it. Still gonna be a few more weeks till I get my STC1000 wired up, and can afford to get my ingredients for my first batch.

Re Geordi, google it. It is an SS supplier in Melbourne. Again, google/search, but just google really.

Latest posts

Back