First Ag, Og Bump/mashout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hey guys, pulled off my first ag (biab) on Saturday. Really enjoyed it, but didn't quite get the efficiency I was after. In my recipe I put in 70% but I worked it out afterwards at about 60%, so instead of og 1048 I've got 1040. Just wondering if I should try to bump this up with som dme or just leave as is? (in no chill cube ATM putting into fermenter tonight)
I was also thinking I'll do a mashout next brew to try to increase efficiency a bit. I have a concealed element crown and was wondering if I can raise to mashout temp with the bag in or do I need to lift bag out while urn is on? And how long should I mash out for? (will probably be doing a 90 minute mash)
Cheers

Ended up adding some dme brought up to 1047. Anyone know about the crown urn mashout? Cheers josh

I have only done 2 AG brews at this stage, but I found by bottling and drinking my poor efficiency low gravity beer, my willingness and drive to increase efficiencies has increased ten-fold. My second brew increased by 10% by taking a bit of extra time with crushing in a dodgy blender (now upgrading to a mill). Suffer through the not so good beers to help you produce better ones. Saying that though, that first AG was sensational when comparing to my K&K batches.

i dont know specificaly aabout the urn but when i was biabing i raised to mash out with the burner going underneath and just stiring the mash to prevent any hot spots. the other way i used to do it was to save 15 or solitres of water out of the mash and boil it in my 19 litre woolies pot and add back at the end of the mash. usually only needed a tickle from the burner to get up to mashout then.

Latest posts

Back