first ag brew ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartf

Reaction score
Ok so a reliable source has told Santa will be stuffing a grainfather down my chimney this Xmas. While I'm keen to get stuck in to the mystical world of all grain brewing I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for an easy recipe for a first brew? I was thinking a sparkling ale or something along those lines? Any advice gratefully accepted
Cheers

One of the Mangrove Jack Grainkids kits is a simple way to start until you are comfortable with the process

Cheers

I'll put my hand up for a saison.

Easy grain bill, forgiving yeast, not much in the way of hops (so if it turns out bad you haven't wasted them) and a good summer drinker.

I'm seconding a simple saison, especially if you're not refrigerating fermentation.

4.5kg pilsner malt, 220g acidulated malt, 60g czech saaz hops fresh wort hopped as you start the boil and ferment with belle saison yeast at ambient temperature.

I wouldn't do a saison at all, especially if you don't like or know the style.. Start with a pale ale. Google tasty mcdoles apa recipe. Its easy and a cracker of a beer

Stuart, how much gear you got aside from grainfather?
What limitations for ingredients, fermenting etc?

I have a real easy English Bitters 4.2% @ (75% efficiency) that is drinking real nice now. Dry yeast, no chilled recipe. Easy as!
PM for details if you want it.

Cheers,
D80

First beer, keep it simple....make a smash....single malt and single hop.

Have a starting point for your system, use 5kg of ale malt.

Choose a hop like Amarillo, Centennial or Simcoe and add hops to 32ibu

60min, 30m, 10m and 1m additions

Ibu should be 15, 10, 5 and 2.

Mash at 66c for 60mins and mash out at 78c for 10.

Use a clean American yeast like bry97 or us05 for ferment at 18c.

Then you can build the beer from there, change the hop or hop additions, add some wheat or crystal to the malt bill and enjoy the slope.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. My temp control is pretty basic (heat mat and blankets in winter, coldest part of the house in summer), which is why I thought maybe sparkling ale. The golden ale recipe looks good, still a few weeks to wait anyway so I've got plenty of thinking time to decide

Cheers
Stuart

What do you like to drink Stuart? There are lots of good suggestions, but they're only good for you if you like the styles being suggested.

There are simple recipes for just about every style, with which you'll make great beer.

Where in Melbourne do you live? There are a couple of good HB shops in town, but your location will help guide which one would be best for you to use.

Cheers,

JD

Hi JD,
I'm in Mount Eliza, beer tastes are pretty wide anywhere from stouts, english bitters, Belgian abbeys to pilsner and super hoppy IPA. I did promise the wife I would brew something she liked for the first batch so that keeps me more on the pale/lighter flavoured end of the spectrum. We have a few decent breweries down here that I plan to take some inspiration from too.

Ask wife then report back.... Don't want this all grain caper getting off on wrong foot. Once you get obsessed and she starts complaining, you can say hey you started it! Better for you if she feels included in your hobby.

Latest posts

Back