First Ag Biab Trouble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiefbacon

Reaction score
brewed my first biab wednesday. I just used a sheet of swiss voille bout 1.5 by 1m and pegged to urn while pouring grain in and stirring all went well until i went to gather all the sides to tie a knot in it and lost a bit of grain out of bag into urn. I continued with the mash then boil and flirloc at end when collected into cube seemed like no grain went in with it was just wondering will this have effected my beer at all. Im thinken that boiling with cracked grain in the wort would maybe give off flavours or something??? :(

Ah, don't worry about it.

Watch for a dozen reasons from others as to why you should RDWHAHB :p

Before I got my BIAB bag made I also used a square of voile and sometimes spilled a bit of grain into the mash tun/kettle which then got boiled. In theory, this will cause tannins to be extracted from the grain husks, but if it was only a small amount you may not notice it. Time will tell.

I've lost a bit of grain into the wort a few times, no problems. You shouldn't have any problems with tannins being extracted as that's a pH thing and the pH in the boil is good. Just make sure you do a good rest of at least 20 mins at the end of the boil to make sure everything has settled out.

For my first BIAB I also had some grain go out of the bag, beer was drinkable but had a weird taste to it. Was superb after leaving it for a couple of months. No idea if the grain was the problem or not as I did have another couple of issues.

Latest posts

Back