First Ag Biab Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjwhite5

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well today I jumped in and brewed my first AG BIAB Brown Ale, it kind of went well for brewing it all in one 45 litre pot

Started at 1003 - heated mash water (13.5 L) to 74 c added grain Mash temp stablised at 66.8 c,
Watched and adjust temp over 60 min mash (Min 65.9 c max 67.7c)
After 60 min mashed out with 7 litres water at 91 c temp raised to 80 c,
Approx 18.5 litres in boiler at SG 1.052, Approx brewhouse efficiency 73% add heat
60 min boil, @ 45 min Add 25 grams Northdown hops, @ 15 min add 30 grams fuggles and 1/2 Whirloc tablet,
After 60 min (flame out) placed kettle in Water bath for approx 50 min, syphoned into fermenter and topped up to 22 litres @ SG 1.048
Added rehydrated US-56 yeast at 22 c
finished in around 4 hours

the house and garage smells great
just waiting for it to ferment now cannot wait to taste

Cede

Congrats feelncede, welcome to a world of better beer :)

Thanks Trevc,

Its off and fermenting, just noticed but it has a fair bit of gunk in to bottom, tryed to whirlpool to get all the hop pellets in the middle and let sit for approx 15 min, and syphoned through a collonder.

Any tips to reduce this next time

Cede

the house and garage smells great
just waiting for it to ferment now cannot wait to taste

It'll be great, did the house ever smell that good when you were doing kits :lol:

Thanks Trevc,

Its off and fermenting, just noticed but it has a fair bit of gunk in to bottom, tryed to whirlpool to get all the hop pellets in the middle and let sit for approx 15 min, and syphoned through a collonder.

Any tips to reduce this next time

Cede

If you have another fermenter rack it after 4 days leaving the trub behind, helps with nice clear beer too.

Cheers,

Screwy

Congrats on breaking your AG cherry!

Don't worry about the break material, it will settle after fermentation. As Screwy suggested racking to secondary should help with any clarity issues.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

As soon as you get a taste of the stuff, you'll be brewing more. My first AG is just finishing up bottle conditioning now. I've already made 2 more AG batches to join it.

Thanks guy's

I will rack it in a couple of days, I am iching already to try my first AG, will have to empty a few kegs and bottles to make way for some more AG beers.

thanks again

Cede

Hi All,

Well I racked after 5 days, and added finnings to the secondary, left for 5 days in secondary reducing temperature from 21 degrees C to 5 degrees C slowly over the five days .Kegged on wednesday and cracked tonight. Very different to the K&K and some of the Extracts I ave done. maybe a bit too chocolatly but a very nive clear beer.

This is what I was trying to make

Recipe: Brown Ale
Brewer: pj
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) @ 14days - Nice overall flavour. not as hoppy as I was expecting, mild chocolaty flovour coming through, no Extract tang

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 25.18 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 39.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.55 kg Ale Malt (6.1 EBC) Grain 71.00 %
1.00 kg Amber Malt (Joe White Malts) (100.0 EBC) Grain 20.00 %
0.35 kg Crystal Malt (Joe White Malts) (290.0 EBC)Grain 7.00 %
0.10 kg Melanoiden Malt (80.0 EBC) Grain 2.00 %
25.00 gm Northdown [8.10 %] (45 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
0.40 items Whirfoc tablets (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (Fermentis #US-56) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.04 L of water at 75.4 C 67.8 C
10 min Mash Out Add 7.30 L of water at 91.9 C 75.6 C

Notes:
------
Equipment = 1 x 45 litre Pot, large grain bag, Italian burner, med adj regulator.

Started at 1003 - heated mash water (13.5 L) to 74 C added grain Mash temp stablised at 66.8 C,
Watched and adjust temp over 60 min mash (Min 65.9 c max 67.7c)
After 60 min mashed out with 7 litres water at approx 91 c temp raised to 80 c,
Approx 18.5 litres in boiler at SG 1.052, Approx brewhouse efficiency 73% add heat
60 min boil, @ 45 min Add 25 grams Northdown hops, @ 15 min add 30 grams fuggles and 1/2 Whirloc tablet,
After 60 min (flame out) placed kettle in Water bath approx 50 min, syphoned into fermenter and topped up to 22 litres
Added rehydrated US-56 yeast at 22 c

( a fair amount hop made its way into the fermenter, didn't really clear)

Forgot to add water before boil so i think the hop utilization will be low

Cheers

Cede

Latest posts

Back