First Ag - Batch Sparge Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well OG was spot on what Beersmith predicted at 1062 :)

I designed the recipe for an OG of 1060 and 60IBU, but after adjusting the ingredients to what I actually ended up using it gave an OG 1062 - which is where I ended up so am happy with that. Beersmith says the measured mash efficiency was 78.5%, would this be right? Seems pretty high for my first go?

Will be interesting to see how it ferments out now with the unintentional step mash?

Here is a shot of the break in the bottom of the fermenter, will this be a problem at all?

IMG_0542.JPG

This is what settled out after going through the chiller, its at about 23c.

Was it a plate chiller? If so and you stopped draining when the crud started to flow through, it's cold break and not an issue in my experience.

Was it a plate chiller? If so and you stopped draining when the crud started to flow through, it's cold break and not an issue in my experience.

Yeah plate chiller. I also used half a tab of whirlfloc with about 10min to go. Cool, I think just made beer! :icon_cheers:

That last bit should become your motto next time you panic about something.

Yeah plate chiller. I also used half a tab of whirlfloc with about 10min to go. Cool, I think just made beer! :icon_cheers:

I wouldn't believe em mate, I think we live near each other, I bring a empty keg over in 2 weeks and dump it for you, after day 9 could you drop the temp to 2 degrees and add dry hops, that would be much appreciated :)

well done and welcome to a great way to spend lots of money to make cheap beer

I wouldn't believe em mate, I think we live near each other, I bring a empty keg over in 2 weeks and dump it for you, after day 9 could you drop the temp to 2 degrees and add dry hops, that would be much appreciated :)

well done and welcome to a great way to spend lots of money to make cheap beer

I would hate to impose my toxic sludge on anyone else, thanks for the generous offer but I'm sure I'll be able to force it down :p

Yeah this cheap beer has cost me a lot of money so far!

yeah cold break is not a worry infact it will help the yeast out (so I heard). thats good going for your first time, the step mash may make the beer :p sometimes there are things you cant control and sometimes it makes a better beer and usually never documented or worried about till you make it again and go damn last one was better and I thought I fucked it lol.

I think your gradual step as you have mentioned will make a better beer than your proposed single infusion.
You made it with grain.....it will be great! Even if you are bias.

Latest posts

Back