Finally, Photos Of My Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm shiney, like the SS touch B)

nice work SJW

Cheers

Well done mate, looks great. Love the stainless makes it look real pro and very clean.

Cheers

I did not remove the hinges from the lid, I just removed the two screws either side of the chesty that secured the hinges to the body of the freezer. I left the plastic caps on the spring ends and then secured the lid back down with the same two screws on either side of the collar (one of the screws at each side actually goes into the top of the freezer itself.

Your joking, I had a look and I think I may not bother + I have lost those 2 plastic bits. :angry:

wowsers, I have made a collar for mine, but can't for the life of me visualise how the springs work and where they go.
Would a samaritan who has it working be willing to take a few photos?

I've got the lid on the collar, and have the hinges all sorted.
The plastic bits are not strictly needed I suspect, but they help keep the wires from getting loose or gouging the wood etc. If you loose them I'm sure something else could be done.

The two hinge wires need to bent around forward horizontal facing the front of the fridge, and they jsut sit along the top of the collar.

I was convinved I'd need two other strong sets of hands and pliers to get it sorted, and after fighting with it for ages I found that patience and a deft touch slowly worked the springs into place first and then lowered the lid down flush against the collar, and hey presto screw it in place. I did it all without any help whatsoever, and my collar isn't 100% square in all direction, and is only 19mm thick, so its far from perfect for this setup.

If you are gentle and patient you'll get it.
:D

I've got a similar freezer here (F&P 215L slimline) and just wondering what you did with the light in the lid? I was thinking of removing it completely but there doesn't seem to be a way to get inside the lid. Does the wire still reach to the junction box with the collar on?

Getting those lid springs back on looks like it is going to be fun... :eek:

Yes the torsion bars are a bugger. But they fall into the easy when you know how basket. After trying to brute force the blighters for a fair old while, I worked out the trick it took me about 10 mins on my own to put the lid on torsion bars.. and I didn't have to force anything. I have a post around here somewhere that explains the approach....

Linky

The trick I found, after having similar frustration when trying to brute force it, was to do the following:
  1. Screw the bottom half of the hinge to the collar. You'll notice it has a little hook sticking up to hold the torsion bar in place.
  2. Line up the lid in a fully open position at the back of the freezer (flipped right the way back so it is 180 degrees open... you'll need some room for this maneuver). Probably easier to get someone to hold it in this spot but I did it solo by balancing the lid on two kegs with buckets on top.
  3. Once the lid is in this position the torsion bar can slipped behind the hooks on the bottom half of the hinge that is screwed to the collar. With the lid 180 degrees open there is bugger all tension on them.
  4. Then fit the little plastic shoe over the end of the torsion bar to prevent it digging in to your collar. Now the torsion bars are in place with the shoes, my collar is holding up fine to the pressure.
  5. Then slowly fold the lid up towards 90 degrees open until you can line up the top of the hinge enough to bang in a few screws.
Hey presto... working hinged lid. I am absolutely convinced that it is impossible to get those torsion bars in any other way... not that I didn't try pretty hard first.

Oh and I found that on mine there was enough extra cable inside the freezer to leave the light in the lid connected with the collar on. I just had to pop of the motor cover and reroute the cable a bit to get the extra play. No rewiring required on mine.

I've got the lid on the collar, and have the hinges all sorted.
The plastic bits are not strictly needed I suspect, but they help keep the wires from getting loose or gouging the wood etc. If you loose them I'm sure something else could be done.

The two hinge wires need to bent around forward horizontal facing the front of the fridge, and they jsut sit along the top of the collar.

I was convinved I'd need two other strong sets of hands and pliers to get it sorted, and after fighting with it for ages I found that patience and a deft touch slowly worked the springs into place first and then lowered the lid down flush against the collar, and hey presto screw it in place. I did it all without any help whatsoever, and my collar isn't 100% square in all direction, and is only 19mm thick, so its far from perfect for this setup.

If you are gentle and patient you'll get it.
:D

Dragging up an old thread 'cos I'm just putting the finishing touches to my new freezer.

Anyone out there with a Fisher&Pykel chest freezer who could post a photo of what the spring is meant to look like when its put together properly?

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back