Finally, Photos Of My Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Here it is, and it works like a dream.
I just need to fix a drip tray off to the side now. And the English bar towels I got when I was living in London, and yes I have heaps of em.
taps.JPG
This was the Fisher and Paykel I picked up for $380 at the x-mas sales. its a 160 litre
taps1.JPG
A bit of Stainless glued to the collar makes a nice back drop to the Celli's
taps2.JPG
A computer fan screwed to the freezer at the back comes on to circulate the air when the freezer kicks in.
taps3.JPG
And u have got to love those John Guest fittings, and the Celli's just screw straight to the S/S plate without the need for the extention piece

That looks awesome... the stainless steel frontage. Definitely want to do something similar.

Top work! I think these pics might even sell the business case to the CFO...hmmm. Looks great mate!

SJW

you have excelled yourself there how neat is that !!!!

Pumpy :)

Top job mate! You fit everything in really well and it all looks very clean!

Thanks boys, and I came up with an easy way to clean the taps out too. Just get a large syringe, fill with your favourite solution, stick in a cup and push. Easy.
clean1.JPG

SJW,

I also have one of these freezers . Did you have any trouble with the hinges and the wire springs which keep the lid open.
I cannot work out how to get the springs to work when i attach the lid to the collar.

Yours looks great.

Graeme

Same freezer I just bought for my kegs, looks great! (I paid more for mine, hate being regional)

SJW,

I also have one of these freezers . Did you have any trouble with the hinges and the wire springs which keep the lid open.
I cannot work out how to get the springs to work when i attach the lid to the collar.

Yours looks great.

Graeme

Thanks for bringing that up :angry: That was funny, in my haste to get the lid off and start the collar I did not take notice of how those 2 metal rod things attached so when I took the lid off, 2 little plastic things went shooting accross the garage. So I just took the 2 metal rod/spring things off and use one like the the bonet of a car and prop the lid open with it, or get my son to hold it open for me.
If u refer to the "No shake method of force carbing" thread you will see that I fill the kegs in the freezer now so I aint lifting the full kegs in over the collar.

Steve

Steve,

They look awesome - top work indeed - Love the syringe cleaning method as well, how simple is that.

Cheers Ross

I have the 210L version of your freezer and I had no problem getting the springs back on with the collar. The trick is, you need two blokes to help you. One bloke at each end to twist the springs right up under the lid and hold them in place behind the hinge brace, and a third bloke to screw it down while the other two hold it there. My lid stays up without a worry ;)

Some photos here (note you can see the springs in the photo with the lid open:

http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic...?f=6&t=7592

Thanks mate, I really should have a crack at fixing that. Might be a job for the long weekend while the cricket is on.

Thanks for bringing that up :angry: That was funny, in my haste to get the lid off and start the collar I did not take notice of how those 2 metal rod things attached so when I took the lid off, 2 little plastic things went shooting accross the garage. So I just took the 2 metal rod/spring things off and use one like the the bonet of a car and prop the lid open with it, or get my son to hold it open for me.
If u refer to the "No shake method of force carbing" thread you will see that I fill the kegs in the freezer now so I aint lifting the full kegs in over the collar.

Steve

Steve,

That is exactly what happened with mine. :lol: Even after going to am Electrical Store to check how the bloody things should sit I have come to the same conclusion. I will finf some other way of keeping the lid open.

Graeme

I have the 210L version of your freezer and I had no problem getting the springs back on with the collar. The trick is, you need two blokes to help you. One bloke at each end to twist the springs right up under the lid and hold them in place behind the hinge brace, and a third bloke to screw it down while the other two hold it there. My lid stays up without a worry ;)

Kevnlis,

Did you completely remove the hinges from the lid and then reattach the hinges to the collar and then attach the lid to the hinges?

Regards

Graeme

Kevnlis,

Did you completely remove the hinges from the lid and then reattach the hinges to the collar and then attach the lid to the hinges?

Regards

Graeme

Good question. From memory I'm not sure, but I will have a crack at stuffing them up the back there with the lid on. Might need some plyers to twist. Should be fun. What are those two plastic things for that fell out? Maybe the ends of the rods go in em?

I did not remove the hinges from the lid, I just removed the two screws either side of the chesty that secured the hinges to the body of the freezer. I left the plastic caps on the spring ends and then secured the lid back down with the same two screws on either side of the collar (one of the screws at each side actually goes into the top of the freezer itself.

I did not remove the hinges from the lid, I just removed the two screws either side of the chesty that secured the hinges to the body of the freezer. I left the plastic caps on the spring ends and then secured the lid back down with the same two screws on either side of the collar (one of the screws at each side actually goes into the top of the freezer itself.

Yeah same here. Those springs would be lethal weapons if they become unattached.

Warren -

Back