Finally back into brewing again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maeldric

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on this forum or even brewed a beer (bout 3 years now). But over Christmas holidays i scored myself a fridge for free. Missus thought it was another food storage device... How wrong she was! Straight away had the temp control hooked up to it and a week later had a nice Oktoberfest lager bubbling away in there.

Now being the loving husband i am, thought she would be more understanding if I made a ginger beer for her to have in one of the kegs. So this morning this is the brew i put down for her.

1 can of Morgan's ginger beer
1kg dark brown sugar
500g brown sugar
1 700ml buderim ginger refresher cordial
125g buderim ginger snack pieces
125g jar of minced ginger (we live in fnq and the local shop didnt have fresh ginger)
Peel and juice from 2 lemons
1 cinnamon quill
1 teaspoon of nutmeg

Put all the ingredients in a pot with a few litres of water and simmered for 10 mins just to dissolve the sugar. Filled to 20l and got a OG reading of 1050. Have got it now sitting in our spare room with the aircon set on 22 cause the beer fridge is being used to lager my beer atm. It's all about priorities ;)

Looking forward to having a couple of nice drops on tap again, don't know why I waited so long between brews.

Put this in the keg a few days back now. Has a really nice ginger taste but it has a real thick feeling to it. Looks like an English brown ale that you can't see through at all. Turned out to be just over 6.5%. I thinks it's great but the missus has been thinning it out by only pouring half a glass then topping up with soda. Will be making it again but will use some dextrose next time and less dark brown sugar. Taste is great just want the mouth feel to be a bit thinner.

Latest posts

Back