Finally, An Ag Resides In My Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew outside, and transfer from the kettle after chilling to the fermenter or from the kettle to the cube (no chill) without any lid. From the top of my head i have done 3 brews each way at my new place and i am yet to get infected. That said i have always stressed about it.
thanks heaps Warren, i'll probably bust an aorta next brew. :D

Well Done PP, looks like you are well on your way!

Not something I can prove one way or another because I'm yet to try chilling or transferring without a lid on.

All that said it was no big deal for me to fabricate a closed transfer system. Better to be safe than sorry. As stated can't verify if open chilling transfer causes any infections. It's just something that scares me and sends me into "Darren Mode". :lol:

To each their own. However after investing 5-6 hours to make beer I'd rather protect it from the all the crud floating around the air. :)

Warren -

Something like this is no big deal to fabricate. Just cover the remaining open area with a bit of iodophor-sprayed foil. ;)

Warren flamesuits up for the DMS police. :ph34r:

Warren -

DSC00662.jpg

Congrats PP and well done on the coaching / mentoring Ross. That conversion of the esky was a good save...
Welcome down the rabbit hole of AG brewing, PP!
Cheers,
TL

Great Thread! Well done PP, onya Ross for helping.
Cheers
Steve

Great pics/comments Ross - LOL! All I can say here now is thanks a heap for all the comments and now, I simply have to go to bed. Today was VERY long and nowhere near as enjoyable as yesterday!

Oh and the esky has worked too well. With only 3 feezer blocks in it since yesterday arvo the brew has dropped down to 14 from 17. Whoops again!

ZZZ
PP

Well done PP, and how lucky are you to have Ross there to steer you in the right direction! There is no looking back now as the darkside takes complete hold. Hope you are going to put in an appearance at the QLD xmas in july swap !

cheers

Browndog

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ross will probaly have another 20 beers after he gets home, before he goes to bed... :p
[post="125574"][/post]​

And then it will be time to start at the first tap again! :D

Hey PP,

"Joined: 29-November 05", taken from your profile.

And already doin your first AG,good work ol chap.

If it wasn't for tdh(GT) an arsenwenger(TK) I wouldnt be a mash monkey either.

Good on you Ross for helping out and converting another brewer to the dark side(maybe we should call you lord Vader)

I'm not really sure how to reply to everything! I'll attempt to reply to many of you individually by PM over the next few days or so as the encouragement and feedback has certainly meant a great deal to me. Special thanks to all you advanced brewers for taking an interest in a thread that must be very repetitive and possibly uninteresting for you. You are the breeders of new brewers and I really hope you realise that. (By the way, the rest of this post will be old hat to you so go and have a beer! I'm hoping it will be interesting/helpful for less experienced brewers though.)

So, I think the only thing I can do in this post is make some comments on how easy AG actually is. Maybe passing on what I've learned will help some others who are battling to make sense of the AG mystery. Here's the biggest lessons I've learned...

AG Lesson 1 The main thing I learned after going to Ross's a month or so ago was that the AG business is pretty damn simple.

I had a lot of trouble with kits. I gave up brewing twice before as I never liked what I brewed. It's pretty frustrating spending money and a lot of time to brew something you don't enjoy.

I suspect that, in my most recent foray, it may be that the kits I used were not fast movers and therefore probably old/out of date. I'll do some more kits but when I do, I'll start with the most popular, that being a Coopers Draught or Lager. The last kit I did was the lager and I left it in the fermenter for 4 weeks with no temperature control as I just assumed that it would be crap like the other kits I had done (all from the one shop mind you). It actually turned out to be one of the two drinkable kits I made and was very similiar to one of the German beers that Ross and I had the other day. Like Ross, I have no idea what the beer actually was! The two brews I did like though took a VERY long time to come good. We're talking 3-4 months, all bar one under strict temperature control. So...

AG Lesson 2 AG can be very quick to reach a drinkable stage. You can drink it in 2 weeks.

I know the above statement is not true for many beer styles but I think that it is good for those considering doing AG to know that there are beers you can make that are more than drinkable (very, very nice actually) within two weeks of pitching your yeast. Aussie Claret and I were dumbfounded when we tasted a few of Ross's the other day and found that they had only been brewed a few weeks ago. I have spent a lot of time working out systems of refrigeration etc to allow my beers to cold condition for 6 weeks. It's nice to know that I can re-fill my now nearly empty fridge quite quickly.

AG Lesson 3 The most mystifying part of AG to people like me is mashing and sparging. Everything else is of course, the same. The answer for beginners is to batch sparge.

There are quite a few people like me on AHB who have been struggling to understand AG. For us, a lot of threads are too advanced but we don't even realise they are too advanced for our level! I had a whole thread going here recently on my damn esky. I thought it was too big for a mash tun after reading so much information including John Palmer but I didn't realise the differencce between batch and fly sparging. My esky is brilliant for batch sparging and has also turned out to be a great fermenting box. (Other threads I've had here trying to master temp control have me now kicking myself!) For those considering AG who, like me, don't really understand what batch sparging is, feel free to PM me and I'll let you know what Ross has taught me.

AG Lesson 4 If you batch sparge, then the equipment needs are minimal. All you really need is a few huge pots, an esky, a source of heat and a few fittings.

I have spent a lot of unnecessary dollars but there's nothing like taking one for the team! Spend your money on a decent 70lt pot for a kettle. If you're short on funds get an aluminium pot for $90 or so - nothing wrong with that from what I've read. I'll go SS but I'm a perfectionist. Get 1 or 2 other pots that will boil around 30lts of plain water. These act as your Hot Liquor Tank (I bought a set of 4 SS Pots - 20,16, 12 and 8lt for $40!). Grab an esky like mine ($85 at Woollies at the moment - $120 at Bunnings!) and you can use it as not only a mash tun but as a box to keep your fermenter cool. You'll need another $20 to convert it into a mash tun. A 3 ring burner will cost you $35 from a camping shop. Use your BBQ gas bottle. That's pretty much all you need.

If I had my time over, I'd just save/buy the above.

AG Lesson 5 I'm a great reader but I think it can be very difficult, confusing and costly to learn AG via a forum. AHB is, without doubt, the best brewing tool I have and has given me a wealth of knowledge. For people at my level of brewing it can also provide too much knowledge. As I said above, we don't know what is important at our level therefore, you need a good basic book.

I don't even know what to recommend! I do have, "Joy of Homebrewing," by Charles Papazian. This is probably a great book but in nearly every paragraph he writes, "Relax. Don't worry. Have a home brew." This drove me mad but I do use it constantly as a guide. Find yourself a good basic book and learn the basics of AG.

AG Lesson 6 As for AHB, as I said, it is my greatest brewing tool. The support and encouragement you can get here is blatantly obvious from the above posts. Help newer brewers.

I'm not too knowledgable about forums etc and I usually write on AHB after a long day. I have asked stupid questions. I write too longer posts (like this one) but my intentions are probably pretty clear. I like to help other newer brewers. I think it's because of this that everyone puts up with my long-windedness! The best thing for AG that you can get from AHB though is...

AG Lesson 7 I think it would be damn hard for anyone to realise how easy AG is without seeing an experienced batch sparger do it. (Just ask Aussie Claret!) The best brewing experience I have had, even better than doing my first AG, was watching Ross do his. So, find a mentor.

I look back now and see that Ross had said come up for a brew day several times before I actually accepted. Big mistake. If someone is kind enough to offer you this, take it up as they'll be doing it for the pleasure of teaching you not testing you!

Finally, Once again, I can't believe how much I have written. I started writing after 2 Coronas at work and intended to write two paragraphs. Had a few sips while writing so I hope the above is actually useful to newer brewers.

And Jayse, you wrote about being coherent and being able to type after tasting 21 beers! When I started this thread, just after Ross left, I think I was approaching the level of inebriation where you love everything and everybody. Being able to type in such a state is not always an advantage ;)

PistolPatch said:
AG Lesson 7 I think it would be damn hard for anyone to realise how easy AG is without seeing an experienced batch sparger do it. (Just ask Aussie Claret!) The best brewing experience I have had, even better than doing my first AG, was watching Ross do his. So, find a mentor.

[post="126042"][/post]​

Point 7 is the key.
I had it all demystified for me by tdh(aka Grumpy thomas)brewmiester @ grumps in a friday night demo nearly a year ago.Met Ol mate TK (arsenewenger) my brew buddy there as well.

Ross you are a Good Man,affordable hops and Mentoring to boot :party:

Dave

Hey PP, I think one learns more from the second AG, how long will your post be following that event :D :D

Agree on the Mash and Sparging, need a good deal of time and experience to get ones head around this business. PH is something I am now concentrating on, after three stopped ferments, adjusted the mash water PH for my last two brews and both have fermented out without a problem. My most recent AG, an APA, had a two inch thick krausen after only 5 hrs and has been more active than any other batch to date using the same yeast. I now think that K&K brews could benefit greatly from adjustment of water PH as many of mine have finished high in the past. However with enough malt etc in the shed for 12 months AG brewing, I think it will be some time before I venture there again.

Cheers

Well done PP , I 've followed your progress here @ AHB and its a credit to you to come sofar so quick. Congrats.. And to ROSS great work. You've come a long way too. Thanks.. Reading this and following all the progress here is starting to get to me and after nearly 20years (18) brewing K&K .. I am getting itchy fingers to start playing around and who knows maybe I'll get stuck on the slippery slope towards AG.
Thanks guys... :beer:

Screwtop said:
Hey PP, I think one learns more from the second AG, how long will your post be following that event :D :D
[post="126049"][/post]​

Oh no! Maybe I better not do a second AG! Alternatively I could fit a breathalyser to my keyboard like they use on the cars of repeat drink driver offenders! :blink:

Have already received 2 request for details on batch sparging so will write up clearly what I learned from Ross at some stage this weekend. If anyone wants a copy just send me a PM or email and I'll forward it on to you.

FNQ: Boiling a kettle of wort beside the Daintree River sounds like brewer's heaven! I bet after 18 years, you must be brewing some great kits. Wish I'd succeeded in this. As I said, I'll have another bash at the kits later on when my beer fridge is full again. For the moment though I think the AG has a lot less risk for me! Can't tell you how great it was to produce a wort that had a great taste right from the get go - a stress free beer! Hope your fingers keep itching!

Brau: Ross is a good man. Here's a pic of Ross and my next door neighbour...

Ross.jpg

My neighbour's saying, "Do you reckon Pat actually knows what he's doing?" Ross's reply... "Pat, your kettle's boiling over, again, and while you're up, get me another beer!"

:D

PistolPatch said:
Brau: Ross is a good man. Here's a pic of Ross and my next door neighbour...

My neighbour's saying, "Do you reckon Pat actually knows what he's doing?" Ross's reply... "Pat, your kettle's boiling over, again, and while you're up, get me another beer!"

:D
[post="126094"][/post]​

Thats whats known in the mentoring/training business as "Arm chair Guidance" :lol:

Pat, something else that aspiring brewers should be aware of is that fermentation fridges can be had for free or as little as 20 bucks in the local classifieds. Stable fermentation temps make all the difference. As I said before you were really lucky to have Ross there on your first brew, and a scwartzbier at that! the thought of all those specialty grains still scares me.

cheers

Browndog

Ross said:
First problem of the day, 20L mashtun only just big enough to hold water & grain. Could have tried fly sparging, but Pat was keen to batch sparge. so we drained the water back out & looked for a better alternative

"Pete, your cooler box on top of the fridge looks the goods"

PP glad to see Ross sorted you out in the MLT department, I reckoned your esky was a good size for one if you batch sparged in an earlier post you made.

Beware you are on the slippery slope now :beer:

Too right browndog! Not having space for a fermenting fridge has been a major hassle to solve. Thankfully the esky is working well and only requires one 600ml freezer block twice a day to maintain ale temp. (For those starting out, check out Post #11 here

Another thing I didn't realise until going to Ross's is how easy the grain side was. This recipe had 6 different malts but all you have to do is ring the order through ask to have it crushed and it arrives in a paper bag all weighed out, mixed and ready to pour into the tun. I remember thinking before Ross's, that it must be a drag ordering different malts in 500 gram or kilo portions and then weighing them all out etc! Obvious now but it wasn't then. In fact, this was probably a major deterrent to me. Once again, simple.

Also too right ausdb. You remember that thread! This was another example of making things complicated through not knowing the difference between batch and fly sparging. In batch sparging, the depth of grain bed is not so important and the esky works a treat.

I better write up those notes on batch sparging now...

Thanks
PP

Pat, you get another well done from me as well. I've only just started brewing (on third brew now), but your post made it all look too easy! You've got me thinking about an AG brew now... *******! :p

Your enthusiasm is very welcome - I wouldn't want you changethe length of your posts either. There's no such thing as too much information as far as I'm concerned :)

Once again, well done.

Tim.

PS. I'd love a copy of your batch sparging notes if you wouldn't mind please! :)

Phrak said:
PS. I'd love a copy of your batch sparging notes if you wouldn't mind please! :)
[post="126302"][/post]​

Looks Like PP has a new project!
And rest assured the notes will be long and comprehensive! :lol:

Love your work PP ;)

Latest posts

Back