Final SG question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricbec

Reaction score
Hi guys, well after my first ever brew was a failure for reasons I do not know, I started a second brew

This time I used Mangrove Jack's Australian Series Gold Lager along with Cooper's light liquid malt extract

My issue is the final SG for the gold lager says it should be 1.006...

My brew has been going for 10 days and it currently sitting at 1.016

My question is, do I just leave the brew in the fermenter for as long as nessesary till it reaches 1.006, or should I just bottle whenever the SG seems stable at whatever final SG I get after 2 SG tests that are the same reading?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Probably a bit late for a reply now, but sometimes it could take up to 14 days to ferment out.
Your most reliable indicator is to take two SG readings approx 4-5 days apart. If the SG is the same, the beer would be safe to bottle.

As your adding extra malt to the kit beer, your final SG could be 1.009 or close to it.
You should also take a starting SG reading in future, eg: 1.050

With the ingredients you posted you will never never achieve an FG of 1.006.
You used a Mangrove can, and another can of Coopers LLME.
Your can of Mangrove is designed to be used basically with a kg of sugar, which essentially is fully fermentable.
The Coopers LLME does not fully ferment out.
I reckon you are at FG, if not very close.
What temperature did you ferment at?
Most ales, if innoculated with sufficient yeast should be done and dusted in about 4 days. Any time after that allows the yeast to clean up after itself.
I don't think you're going to get much lower, if at all.

Latest posts

Back