Final Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1981

Reaction score
hi
im brewing my first brew and am just wondering what the final gravity should be????
im brewing a coopers lager kit
also just wondering if i pitch the yeast at 26 degres and it drops to 22 will it still keep fermenting cause it bubbled for the first 2 days but has now stopped

help me please
thanks dave
huh.gif

Depends how much Dextrose, Malt, or Sugar you used for the brew.
Normally 1kg of either should finish around 1.005 I think, could be wrong though.
It will definitely keep fermenting even if you cant hear or see any bubbling, that could be a sign that the top of the fermenter isn't screwed on tight enough.
You should be using a Hydrometer to gauge how the fermentation is going....and it should last for around 4-6 days roughly unless you are doing a heavier brew, then it will take longer.

26 pitching and 22 fermenting are both fairly warm, and the coopers kit yeasts can be vigorous little buggers that go off quick sometimes, particularly when warm.

The only way to be sure fermentation has finished is by having stable specific gravity over the course of 2 to 3 days.
As peaka said, the actual gravity will depend on what was in the brew, and what yeast was used.
If it was 23L and a kilo of dextrose, it will be somehere in 1005 to 1007. If it was malt, a blend of malt and dextrose, or of malt dextrose and maltodextrin, it could be as high as 1012, if not higher still, depending on the weight and the ratios. And even knowing exactly what was in it, any calculations are subject to variation due to a lot of other factors, anyway, and should only be used as a general guide.

Hi Dave

Most ppl i know who brew and from the lots that i have read in the last weeks, most ppl leave their brews for at least 2-3 weeks regardless of FG.
I have found that GENTLY agitating the fermenter a day or so after the bubbling stops will kick off a seemingly dormant brew.
No airlock bubbles doesn't mean it's finished, just slowing down.
I've just bottled a Cerveza that looked dormant and had a high FG reading a week ago. It stayed in the fermenter for about 12 days.
I bottled a sample Monday and tasted it today and it's fine, the last SG reading i took was about 1.012 ...still way too high.
Many ppl don't check the SG at all just brew wait and bottle.

However, if you want the numbers i think Coopers recommend 1.006, I have not yet had a brew drop that low.
BTW Largers usually brew lower temps i think... pls guys correct me if i am wrong but you may wish to get the temp down a little.
However the yeast was prob ale yeast anyhow.

If that was a coopers cerveza + BE2 to 23L, projected fg at 75%apparant attenuation would be 1012....If thats what's in it, and its fg is stable, its not dormant; its done. ;)

If you're worried about it, take a grav reading, and post that up along with the ingredients, the volume, and when it was pitched.

Back